Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Engine stands

h2ojet001
    Has anybody ever purchased an engine stand on ebay and if so did it work for you? Is the 1000lb stand enough for BBC or would I need the 1250lb. Do they come with mounting bolts if not what grade and size will be needed? Thanks
    Barry

Snowboat
    1,000 will work; I'd get the bigger one. Once you start stacking the expensive chit on top, one starts to worry.

Hotcrusader76
    Harbor freight...
    If you buy through ebay....trust me!!!!!!!! The shipping will be very high and it will come out even with the cost of driving down to HF.
    Just my 0.02
    ~Ty

Tinkerer
    Just make sure that You buy a 4 wheeled one. They cost a little more but believe me if you buy a 3 wheel one you will wish that you had sprung for the other. I have one of each.

DansBlown73Nordic
    I have one I built in High School. I ran my blown BBC on it a couple weeks ago.

Mopar426
    I would go for the 4 wheel stand. I purchased a cheapo bolt together stand thinking when not in use I could take it apart and store it under my bench. It was very wobbly and wanted to tip over with only one wheel out front, but it lasted till the final rotation when I flipped the engine over to bolt on the pan the main support snapped off dropping the engine on my leg luckily I escaped with only bruses, but crushed my new valve covers. I would not take that route again.

wsuwrhr
    I don't want to stall anyone's parade, but don't buy the cheap imported crap. You are talking about THOUSANDS of dollars in parts, and plenty of weight. Buy a nice stand and it will be the last one you own.
    4 wheel for sure nothing less.
    Brian

Bow Tie Omega
    Harbor freights stand sucks!!! Big time. That is what I purchased for my 454. The 1250 lb stand was bent over, I had to place blocks under the oil pan so the stand would not snap in two. Just ask BrendellaJet or V-drive, they saw it with their own two eyes. The Pep Boys 1000 lb stand is sturdy and has worked flawlessly for me for the last year.The good news...$65.00

b's sanger
    Yeah, I bought one on e-bay a couple years back. It was the folding leg model for storage. No problems holding my BBF. I don't remember the weight specs though, sorry. As long as you are OK putting it together yourself, you are good. Mine did not come with the mounting bolts. Went to the parts store, wasn't too expensive for the hardened veriety.

i was also thinking of buying one off ebay, i decided to search the recycler and found a local guy selling them. I payed like $165 for the cherry picker, engine stand and load leveler. The guy has 2 engine stands one for 35 bucks or one for 45 bucks... the one for 45 bucks was rated at 1250 and the one for 35 was rated at 1000. i choose the 1250 model.
    I put them both together, they look nice, there made in china. I will be using them this weekend, i guess we'll see if how well they work.
    On a note, i didnt like the way the engine stand did arms, the washers where too small and seamed like they could buckle. I went out and purchased larger washers!
    Oh ya, the 1000lb stand had a 'H' like bottom and the 1250 stand had a 'U' like bottom. The 'H' looked safer.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast