Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fuel System ?

Taylorman
    Anyone know of a check valve that can be used between the fuel pump and carb to keep fuel in the line. When i go to start my boat after its been sitting for a long time, i have to spin the motor for a while to get fuel pressure to the carb. Im looking for a way to prevent this. Obviously its a mechanical pump. I know an elec. pump would cure this but I would rather not switch.

victorfb
    are you sure your accelerater pumps are working on the carb? try giving it some throttle as you look down the carb and see if it is spraying. sounds like you are trying to get it started by the vacume of the intake stroke more than anything. there should allways be enough fuel in the bowls to get it started. ive seen the acc. pump lever come off, or never installed correctly onto the linkage. check it and do the test. you may have a bad acc. pump. very easy to change on holleys and the like carbs.

svlperry
    my boat does the same thing i just pump the shit out of it while cranking and it starts

superdave013
    I think you must have some thing else going on but if you want a nice check valve go to Kinsler Fuel Injection. I've used them on primming systems and they work real well. They are spendy lil buggers though.

HotRod Sprint
    Taylorman, what kinda carb you runnin. If its a Q-jet, they have a habit of draining the float bowel into the back cylinders. There are some fixes for it, like buying a new carb But seriously, that's more what it sounds like to me. Usually fuel won't flow back through the pump, unless its going bad. Just my nickle's worth. Could be wrong, usually am, but sometimes I'm right
    Rod

Taylorman
    Im running dual edelbrock performers. I have a pressure gauge at the carbs. After the boat has been sitting for a while. I have to spin the motor a few seconds before the gauge starts to show pressure and finally starts. I never really thought much about it until recently. I figure there must be some cure for it.

Hemicbx
    Aeromotive (aeromotiveinc.com (http://216.242.145.16/products/product.phtml?p=39) ) makes them in -6 & -10 sizes. Summit carries them.
    I've always thought that would be a good idea, but when you think about fuel level & needle/seat position there should be no way for that to happen. Having said that, I'm convinced one of my old Plymouths used to drain back.
    Also, any fluids/hydraulics supply shop should be able to supply you with a brass check valve that has a low crack-pressure and 37 degree (AN) flares. Kepner is a very common hydraulics/controls check valve manufacturer. There are bunches of 'em.
    Hemicbx

Chris J
    In a carb system the fuel pumps only job is to keep the bowls full. Sounds like you have a fuel leak somewhere in the carb draining the bowls. The fuel could be evaporating fast enough that you never see a puddle. Look for fuel stains on the bottom of the carb or intake.
    If you're running a closed motor compartment this could be an exsplosive situation someday!!
    Nothing sucks more than watching a boat burn up in the middle of a lake.

Taylorman
    Originally posted by Chris J
    In a carb system the fuel pumps only job is to keep the bowls full. Sounds like you have a fuel leak somewhere in the carb draining the bowls. The fuel could be evaporating fast enough that you never see a puddle. Look for fuel stains on the bottom of the carb or intake.
    Thats a good point. These carbs are only about a year old. I spoke to Summit tech and they told me the only way the bowls will leak fuel is if there is a pin hole in the casting. I will run the engine and pull the carbs off with the bowls full to see if there is a leak. Will post results. Thanks.

fourspeednup
    Edelbrock made a big deal about how they don't use any gaskets below the fuel line, probably not leaking into the motor. Keep us posted on your predicament. How quickly does it start if the boat hasn't been sitting, like a day after the last use?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast