Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: outdrive discolorisation

steve@kps
    wink
    that tiger looks like it has fleas...LOL..
    maybe it needs a "shower" j/k

rivercrazy
    LMAO. Or maybe Crabs.... J/K LOL!

rude235
    rivercrazy, don't let the numbers on a bottle of gear lube, such as 80w90 fool ya. it doesn't necessarily mean that the oil is thicker. the larger numbers were given to gear lubes to seperate them from automotive oils and avoid confusion. a good synthetic gear lube is highly recommended in somthing like an outdrive and has been proven to lower the operating temps. Amsoil all the way!

steve@kps

Well guys, i've been doing some research and talking to mechanics in the industry. We were all correct.
    Seems that the largest problem causing the "excessive" buildup is the fact that the "alkai" is essentially "burning" to the outdrive cassing. Some drives have the wrong oil and cause the drive to "overheat". And some drives simply build too much heat.
    Since all boats are different. The only cure is to simply cure the situation by either adding (as i said) synthetic lube. And if that doesn't cure the problem then do what 1stepclosser mentioned. Add a drive shower to assist in cooling the outdrive!
    This was a fun topic. And i know i learned something. I hope nobody got offended.
    steve g.

1stepcloser
    Hey Steve,
    I shot ya a fiver for your diplomacy...

steve@kps
    damn, i may have to run for governor....LOL

Infomaniac
    I read in Hot Boat a few years back about testing Prolong in an outdrive. It made the drive shift easier and reduced the operating temp quite a bit.
    I put 1 ounce in my Alpha SS and the first time I put in gear it shifted like butter. I was sold. It did run much cooler also.
    Heat good or bad for a drive? I am not a drive expert by any means. I have talked with technicians in the past about rebuilding a high time drive. The cases are cast aluminum. After many many thermal cycles, they are just not the same. You cannot get some of the tolerances back good as new because of this.
    If there is any disadvantage to high drive temps, my opinion would be the fact of the much different rate of thermal expansion between the steel internals and the cast aluminum case.

Ian
    Thanks too all of you for all the info. Hey infomaniac, if your cougar ever comes up missing, it wasn't me. I just want you to know that now. That is one of the baddest boats I've ever seen, where do you run it? What kind of MPH you get out of it? My dad and I are partners on a blown gas Cole TR2, we run it up at Needles and the Kings River mostly.

Ian
    I shot you all a fiver for the good info.

Infomaniac
    Ian:
    Thanks too all of you for all the info. Hey infomaniac, if your cougar ever comes up missing, it wasn't me. I just want you to know that now. That is one of the baddest boats I've ever seen, where do you run it? What kind of MPH you get out of it? My dad and I are partners on a blown gas Cole TR2, we run it up at Needles and the Kings River mostly.The Cougar is my Okie lake rocket. It can be seen at Ft.Gibson or Keystone lakes around Tulsa. I did take it to Texas once this year. Will probably do it again. It was radared at 134 there. Was running well that day.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast