Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: turbos

rwootton
    what turbos bolt up to Gentry manifolds and waterjacketed turbo housing. I need a pair might trade my 6/71 towards some.

bonesfab
    give inovative turbo a try. 805-526-5400 good people into fast s$#t. they are in simi valley ca

HeavyHitter
    T-4 Garrett/Alliedsignal/Honeywell, whatever they're calling themselves these days. Typically the turbine housing were machined for a P trim turbine wheel. If the minor diameter of the exit is 2.55" then it's a P. Cartridges run around $350 from a dealer. Depending on cubic inches you may need to step up to aftermarket compressor housings and wheels. H is the biggest stock T-4 wheel which will feed up to around 520" well if you keep the RPM below 6000.

Unchained
    Heavy Hitter,
    What's your opinion of the ball bearing turbo's that are out now?
    Is a ball bearing turbo really going to spool up that much quicker?
    The TV77's I'm using are just diesel turbo's and they're spooling up real quick. 0 - 20 lbs in 1.4 sec.
    By the way I'm electing you to the position of "Turbo Guru" of this site.
    Mark

HeavyHitter
    Unchained,
    The ball bearing turbos do spool up quite a bit faster. In most applications you won't need the extra speed. If you're building a small engine with huge turbo you'll defenitely want the ball bearing option. In your application I wouldn't expect you to see much benefit. You're probably on the edge of ripping the pump loose at low end so more torque earlier may just slow you down. Thanks for the complement.
    Wally

MikeF
    Not to sound too frugal , but how about a setup using only one larger turbo. I've seen one on an old Buick V6 comp eliminator drag car. Should be able to provide plenty of boost....right?
    Setup might look a little funny but eventually I might want to go this route. Options are endless to the fabricator.

Hey Wally aka heavy hitter,
    I am looking into running turbo's in the next couple of years. I would like to run EFI but am thinking the budget might not allow.
    I am thinking a mechanical fuel injection like a hilborn, & running the turbo's to the stacks thru an intercooler box.
    My question is, I can't recall ever seing a mechanical fuel injection set-up w/ turbo's.
    As an overall concept Will it work??
    Do you have any input??

You know what I just thought of??
    Champ Cars
    I'm guessing it would work.
    Imput would still be apprieciated.
    Morg

DogHouse
    Originally posted by Morg
    Hey Wally aka heavy hitter,
    I am looking into running turbo's in the next couple of years. I would like to run EFI but am thinking the budget might not allow.
    I am thinking a mechanical fuel injection like a hilborn, & running the turbo's to the stacks thru an intercooler box.
    My question is, I can't recall ever seing a mechanical fuel injection set-up w/ turbo's.
    As an overall concept Will it work??
    Do you have any input??
    Ask him about a Donovan 540 with mech inj, ice bath intercooler, really huge turbos, and the dyno that screamed "uncle"!

HeavyHitter
    Morg,
    Constant flow injection works fine if you're not looking to idle for long distances in varied temperature. You're also not going to save much money over EFI if any. You really need 2 sets of injectors to make it work right. Vented set smaller for out of boost running and unvented pour fuel in injector set for in boost. I have all the valves required to make a system including the diaphragm valve for the main bypass. Only have a couple of small pumps for small displacement though. It's not ver user freindly.
    Yeah Doghouse knows about a very monstorous Hp engine. Unfortunatly I recently hear of its demise. Lasted for 8+ years of Bonneville. 2000+ hp will tend to be unforgiving if something goes wrong. Not sure what happened just herd a few Carillos were sticking out the side of the Donovan block.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast