Thread: Question about Fiberglass cloth for the floor

Ranz1
    Ive seen in past post that people say to use 32oz or 34oz cloth for the floor, but can i use 24oz cloth?? What is WOVEN ROVING cloth? Also do i need to use fiberglass tape for the joint or can i just resin the ends together? And lastly what is a good name brand to use for the resin and what everelse i need for this project. Anthony

THE BOSTON SIDEWINDER
    AS FAR AS RESINS, I'VE SEEN TWO DIFFERENT TYPES. THE REGULAR BOAT YARD STUFF, VERY INEXPENSIVE. THE 2ND IS WEST SYSTEMS 105. IT IS EPOXY SO I DON'T THINK YOU CAN GO BACK TO POLYESTER, BUT THE EPOXY STUFF IS KILLER. MORE EXPENSIVE BUT LOTS MORE STRENGTH!
    YOU CAN PROBABLY LOOK THEM UP ON THE WEB, IT'S A REALLY IMFORMATIVE COMPANY. YOU'LL LEARN EVEN IF YOU DON'T END UP USING THEIR PRODUCT...BILL.

diggler
    Make sure you use epoxy resin and not polyester resin. It's more expensive to go epoxy, but will last longer. Be very, very generous with the use of matting and resin to overlap the edges of the floor and the contact point with the hull. I overlapped at least eight inches with five layers of matting and cloth.
    http://www.***boat.com/image_center/...tion_3-med.jpg
    http://www.***boat.com/image_center/...allation_5.jpg

Mr.CBM
    hey ranz!
    Yes you can use 24oz cloth, being thinner you might have to use more or it in spots. Woven roving is actual matt(very thick) and much stronger. Being heavier i wouldnt recommend it except maybe stringers and such. Epoxy will give a great finish but the cost is much more. If its covered and you wont see it, go poly. Feel free to email CBMJet@aol.com if i can be of help.
    Ted