Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: IT'S done finally fish tank nicknamed "dead mans grave"

a catered life
    well for those who gave me assistance on this tank i want to say THANKS since it was my first tank ever i was worried if it was going to come out alright......i ran into a few minor problem like the canopy had to be specially cut to fit the tank, i had to downsize the filters to fit the slots on the tank but herr it is...about $1300 later here goes.......right now i have 2 panda bards, 2 bala sharks, 2 red tail sharks and 4 red eye tettires....whats your thoughts :idea:

Jordy
    $1300???? You're just getting warmed up. I started off with a 30 gallon reef tank and quickly grew that into a 55 gallon reef. It was a couple hundred dollar a weekend at the fish store habit and when it was all said and done, I had nothing to show for it other than lots of sweat, tears, and $1000's of dollars worth of fish that took the drain to the ocean to find Nemo. Every now and then I think about setting up another one and then I just donkey punch myself, build a bridge and get over it.

C-2
    $1300???? You're just getting warmed up. I started off with a 30 gallon reef tank and quickly grew that into a 55 gallon reef. It was a couple hundred dollar a weekend at the fish store habit and when it was all said and done, I had nothing to show for it other than lots of sweat, tears, and $1000's of dollars worth of fish that took the drain to the ocean to find Nemo. Every now and then I think about setting up another one and then I just donkey punch myself, build a bridge and get over it.
    Yup, it's a love-hate type thing. I just recently patched the holes in my ceiling!
    And finding somebody to watch your tank on those long river weekends is not an easy thing to do - especially since they don't usually call until the Halides set the smoke detectors off. I hate those calls at the sandbar.
    ----------
    catered,
    Your fishies are gonna like all that wide open real estate. Don't mess the neighborhood up by throwing in Oscars, Pacu's or even Piranaha's. While somewhat exciting to watch at din din time - they make for an ugly tank.
    If you got good lights, throw some live plants in there, they look really nice.

H20 Toie
    dud were thw fish dude

maxwedge
    I used to have salt water fish back when I was a kid. Poor little guys. Turns out that some cats, although terrified of bathtubs and rain water, really don't mind climbing into a fish tank every now and then to have a nice Tang or Damsel dinner. Also, fish don't really like to be in the tank when it's saltier than the Dead Sea and hotter than hell. Who Knew? I fully expect to someday hear St. Peter explaining why I'm going to hell for that little marine death camp experiment. Next time I think I'll just have live rocks and plants :cry:

JetBoatRich
    Good Luck Willie

a catered life
    Yup, it's a love-hate type thing. I just recently patched the holes in my ceiling!
    And finding somebody to watch your tank on those long river weekends is not an easy thing to do - especially since they don't usually call until the Halides set the smoke detectors off. I hate those calls at the sandbar.
    ----------
    catered,
    Your fishies are gonna like all that wide open real estate. Don't mess the neighborhood up by throwing in Oscars, Pacu's or even Piranaha's. While somewhat exciting to watch at din din time - they make for an ugly tank.
    If you got good lights, throw some live plants in there, they look really nice.
    i may get a break i got two awesome neighbors that have watched me get this thing together and both have offered to fish sit when i get back to boating one is retired and the others guy is semi retired so i may have some choices here.....and your right i dont want anything aggresive just something for the kids to talk about and enjoy

Boa1277
    If you want to really get frustrated try a reef tank, like Jordy said thousands of dollars later you will figure it out, leave the reefs in australia. These reef tanks are very very hard to take care of. If you think fish are expensive wait until you start dropping 2 to 3 hundred dollars a pop on some of the nicer corals just to watch them die usually in about 4mos it sucks... I still have all of the filtration and stuff to do another one, I just havent won the lotto yet. LOL

whoya
    Don't listen to these guys it's not that hard. We have fish as old as 12 years and they take care of their self. We have an automatic feeder and left them for 2 weeks at a time with no problem. For auto feeders and fish supplies check That Fish Place out, http://www.thatpetplace.com/
    You can also call them for advice even thier catalog has a lot of information in it.

MagicMtnDan
    I used to have a salt water tank - had a great Humuhumunukunukuapua'a (type of trigger fish) that made the tank a lot of fun. But that was Back East years ago.
    Now you're doing it in California so you can look forward to the next moderate earthquake to think about 100 gallons of water, gravel, rocks, equipment and fish on the floor. :220v:

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast