Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Opinions needed

superV
    I have been looking to relocate back out west for some time but have been unable to find a job in my field paying the same as I make now I am a Non Destructive Engineerer, Commercial Diver, and a AWS Certified welding inspector working as a QA/QC Mgr for for two large Machine Works and Fabercation Mills. I have 12yrs ex. and have worked my way through all the ranks. I was just made an offer with a company in Las Vegas as Senior Project Manager for a company called Wetern Technologys. My problem is they came back at $25hr :frown: knowing I make $35 now. They said that is typ for the area. They have an ex. benfits package and will provide 100% relocation. Along with a 100% up 6% match on my 401K. So as you can see we are talking about a large diff. in pay. They will provide a $300 a month car al. and $.32 a mile. I will save alittle on income tax but will I spend it on other goods or is there really a benifit from the lack of state tax in the area Housing seems to be cheep in the Henderson area where I would want to live and when doing some research I find that 40K is the av. income for a family of 4in Vegas. That just does not seem right to me. I really want to get back out west but feel like I would be talking a step back. Other than the pay I really like the scope of the job. Any input would be great:wink: BTW I can find Work in SoCal for the same pay but feel I would still be losing due to the taxes and high cost of living

JetBoatRich
    Seems like a significant hourly rate change are the benefits a lot better or about the same. if the retirement package is better, some of the money will be made up in the back-end. What about advancement, are there any?
    Tough decision, is it worth it to be back where you want loosing the income you were used to getting

Ntwotrance
    Figure out what your total off set is, add it all up, get the total, factor in the cost of living difference and see where you are at that point. Factor in the car allowance, does your current employer provide you with that? Factor in the 401k, I do have to say that .32 is low, but I'm not sure what is the norm in vegas for mileage.....

OutCole'd
    Super, I live here in Vegas and it is not bad at all. $10.00 is a lot of money, but we get very little snow.
    Post over at Lasvegas***boats.com Most everyone there lives in Vegas or Henderson, and can help you out.
    Housing is getting pricey here also like Ca. You may want to check that out first.
    Good Luck,
    Feel free to PM me any questions you have, I will try to help.

superV
    Thanks so far guys as far as $.32 a mile there is also $300 a month car allowance. The cost of living is about the same .The thing im not sure about is the taxs? I think the diff in income all said in done would be about 12k-15K a year Unless i get alot of O.T.

OutCole'd
    Are you factoring the snow multiplier? Thats a biggie, and didi I mention OG's.

superV
    Originally posted by OutCole'd
    Are you factoring the snow multiplier? Thats a biggie, and didi I mention OG's.
    Im thining I might do it but just cant seem to pull the triger
    I have a great job and get 3% a year raise. But the bennys are not as good.And after a year I can move on if needed

Mandelon
    You could make up the difference at the craps table.......
    That is a big cut to make in your wages. Did they say that was their top offer or are they trying to low-ball you with that???

Ntwotrance
    What's your chances of meeting the raises you're currently getting if you move? You do have to look at the future, and it would seem that Vegas in my opinion is the better bet.....

superV
    That is interesting its telling me from St.Louis to Vegas I would need less in Vegas but if i put in henders it say 15k more than las vegas

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast