Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Huntsville Alabama???

Coughlin's Law
    I need some help/advice/insight...
    I have some family that are relocating to Huntsville from Southern California this spring.
    My wife and I are considering heading out there as well. Life is California is more like running, than actually living. We looked in Phoenix, AZ, but realized it's basically just like Southern California except much hotter.
    After house hunting out there, we realized if we are really going to move out of state, then let's really make a drastic change and consider other states other than those that border California.
    I wondering if there are any board members that are from the Huntsville area that could offer us advice on where to buy/where not to buy.
    We've heard Madison County is very nice and the schools are excellent. We want to live in a community where the focus is on the children and famiy. We've heard Northern Alabama and the entire South for that matter is it. Is that true?
    Are there any California transplants on these boards that now live in Huntsville? How do you like it?
    Thanks in advance for any local insight.
    Coughlin

Coughlin's Law
    Well, OK...
    Maybe nobody on the boards live in or been to Huntsville.
    Hopefully someone out there can offer a fellow boater some insight on the area.
    Thanks!!!!
    Coughlin

Outnumbered
    Coughlin, try central? The south does not have its own forum so that may be the way to go.
    Good luck,
    OL

Coughlin's Law
    Good point OL.
    Thanks!!!

kc607
    Not from there but have been there a few times. Nice place, very conservative area but lots of well educated and freindly people. I don't know much about different parts of town. I have a friend whose inlaws live there but they live out on a farm. Homes will be cheap compared to where you are. Not too far from some small mountains and some lakes. Very good area to raise a family as would be most of the region. I'm in Knoxville, TN which is also a cool area. If you move out here, and you like the custom boats, you better bring one with you. Almost all are going to be what some call cookie cutter boats. I hope this helps somewhat, I hated to see your post ignored.

mikev
    I grew up in LA and Phoenix moved to Georgia back in 86. I am not sure about Huntsville but have heard it is nice. There is a big NASA facility there so I am sure the IQ is probably higher there that the rest of Alabama . I realy like the south only thing I miss is the beach. I live north of Atlanta lake Lanier is 6 miles form the house its great. On the weekends we go to lake Hartwell because of all the boat traffic on Lanier. But hartwell is only and hour and fifteen minute drive.

Outnumbered
    Hey Mike,
    We were thinking of taking a trip out to Lanier next year to check out lake front lots for future retirement. A few questions:
    Coming from Phoenix how is the heat/humidity compared to the desert dry heat? We are moving to the Phoenix area from the SoCal mountains this spring.
    How about the bugs and snakes, I hear they are bad?
    What would a lake front lot go for in a nice area zoned homes only? Lets say 1 acre+.
    Finally, how close are the city conveniences like Home Depot, Costo/Sams Club, etc?
    Thanks in advance for the input,
    OL

mickeyfinn
    I live on the Atlanta end of the lake in Buford.
    1. Humidity is thick enough to cut with a butter knife with temps during the summer ranging from 85 to 101. Humidity is commonly in the 70-80% range.
    2. Lots of bugs, mostly gnats, chiggers nothing a little deet won't keep away. We do have snakes but they are as scared of you as it sounds like you are of them. They are not a problem.
    3. Lots around the lake in the 1+ acre range are pricey if you can find them. You can find them if you look. Havent priced lake front in a while but I would guess that a 1 acre lake on the water with dock rights with a gentle slope to the water will run around 200,000.00. That is assuming you want your actual lot to be 1 or 1+ acre. The corp of engineers actually owns up to a certian elevation around the lake so there is always some amount of property between your property and the lake edge that belongs to them. Since this is elevation driven the gentler the slope the more of the corp property you have between you and the water. If you do decide to come and look at property be sure and call and ask questions before driving around looking as a lot of the lots currently on the market are on slopes that you almost need climbing gear to get up and down to the water. Lake Lanier is a beautiful lake with a lot of beautiful homes and there is still some very nice property available around it, you just have to look for it.
    4. The whole area around the lake is thriving. I don't think it is possible to live on the water and be more than 30 minutes from a Home Depot and the retail that comes with it.
    I have relatives who live in Huntsville who love it. Pace tends to be much slower there and people are very friendly. Just remember either way you are moving here to the Bible belt and somethings take some getting used too.

manuel
    I would NEVER EVER even think of moving back to California, in 1988 we came to visit my wife's (now ex) family, I didn't want to come here, I considered Alabama one of the hazards of driving to Florida, boy was I in for a surprise! rivers and lakes EVERYWHERE,
    NO smog, NO traffic, polite friendly people, the kids all have excellent manners, beautiful sugar white beaches at the gulf with water so clear you can see your feet and warm, but the thing that really got me was the property prices, for 1/3 of what we sold our place in so.cal. for we bought a 12 year old 3br./2ba. house with 278feet of waterfront, 36 foot pier that I could call my own, recently a 100 ft deep lot with 300 ft on the river sold for
    $26,000. there are NO strangers here, everyone say's HI!
    Huntsville has the aerospace and associated industries and a university so they have transplants from all over the country but when they retire, they stay here, here are some links to more info: http://huntsville.about.com/
    http://www.huntsvillesrealtor.com/tours.htm
    http://www.huntsvillesrealtor.com/slideshow.htm
    CHEAP property taxes too! no vehicle inspections, NO exhaust rules enforced, sand rails are street legal, I LOVE it here!

mikev
    we love it humidity is bad but you get used to it bugs are about the same as out west. as far as real estate my wife was born and raised here and knows the area inside and out and would be happy to help you look. here is a link to her website you can search for property on ittina vanderhoff (http://www.tinavanderhoff.com)
    let me know when you guys plan on coming to Georgia we can show you the are and take a ride on the lake if you like.
    Mike

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast