Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: AFE vs. K&N for Cummins Dodge

CA Stu
    Is there any difference in their intake systems?
    I see the AFE is about $40 cheaper... and they both bost hp gains... Seems like cheap power to me.
    I was thinking a new FIPK / AFE intake and a set of 275 hp injectors (for a total cost of about $500) might finally explode my auto trans...
    Thanks
    CA Stu

STV_Keith
    We only sell the AFE anymore. Neither will give your Cummins any HP...don't let their advertising fool you. Lower restriction before the turbo = quicker spool and slightly lower EGT's, but that's it.
    I assume you have a 98.5-2002 Cummins if you're looking at the RV275's. Why only go with 25-30hp gain?

Outnumbered
    What exactly is spool and what is the advantage of quicker spool?
    OL

CA Stu
    Well, I was just browsing ebay and seen them 275's for sale for about $250 a set, that's all.
    I already have the Banks Ottomind , a drilled out wastegate actuator tube ( high tech power if I've ever seen it) , a 4" exhaust from the turbo back.
    I like the Ottomind's safety feature keyed off the pyrometer (mounted in the exhaust manifold, before the turbo). My EGT has only hit over 1250 once or twice, on the big grades towing about 7500 lbs of stuff (4900 lb boat and 2600 lbs of beer ). Even then, I don't really have to floor the pedal to cruise about 70 up them.
    My truck seems to run like a big bolck gas motor for the most part, except right off the line. Once it is rolling, it just keeps on accelerating. No end to the torque. I would like to throw a set of bigger injectors now and eventually a Banks Quick-Turbo on it. These trucks can sure haul ass set up correctly!
    What other injector sizes are available and what kind of cost am I looking at? Are there any other mods needed to run them, i.e. different fuel pump / pressure regulator / fuel lines?
    Thanks!
    CA Stu

CA Stu
    Spool means the turbo boost pressure and the time to generate it.
    i.e., some turbo's will develop 30 lbs of boost a lot quicker than others. They spool up quicker= more power sooner.
    As far as I understand. Which ain't too far
    CA Stu

STV_Keith
    Stu, more power is always available with those trucks. Check out the site ( http://www.dieseldynamics.com ) and play with the "configurator. It will show you want you need for a given power level. LOTS of options.

Outnumbered
    Originally posted by CA Stu
    Spool means the turbo boost pressure and the time to generate it.
    i.e., some turbo's will develop 30 lbs of boost a lot quicker than others. They spool up quicker= more power sooner.
    As far as I understand. Which ain't too far
    CA Stu
    So you should see a little quicker accelleration with an intake kit?
    OL

CA Stu
    Originally posted by Old Lavey
    So you should see a little quicker accelleration with an intake kit?
    OL
    As far as I know.
    intake kit = less restriction = quicker spool = more zip = happier owner.

CA Stu
    These are the injectors I mentioned
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=2454769754
    They are listed as 275HP, I checked the configurator and my truck bone stock is listed as 210 HP.
    Also, I was wondering if the mods made on a diesel are cumulative? Like getting more power from an intake if the injectors have been replaced versus stock injectors.
    I assume it would be so, but why stick my head up a cow's ass when I can ask the butcher if it's a good steak, so to speak
    Thanks
    CA Stu

BowTie Rick
    As for intake, go with K&N. Yes, I work there so I am biased but there are some things you should know abut AFE. Basically, they lie through their teeth. Their web site says their 7.3L Powerstroke kit makes 50 HP. That is the most outrageous claim I have ever heard. They say they filter better than K&N but they use round pleats that place a flat surface toward incoming dirt (not good for a depth loading filter) and 2 independent labs show they filter less. By using rounded pleats, they also get less pleat count which means less overall surface area. What they gain is a slightly greater flow rate. They say K&N panel filters have bleed of the urethane into the media which reduces flow. Ever seen a filter dirty on the edges or do they get dirty in the center? The reason K&N has this bleed and they do not is the K&N is a one-piece injection molded seal. Theirs is 4 individual strips glued together that can be pulled apart if twisted. Yes, they look prettier but will you know how long the seal has been apart while its in the air box? The K&N FIPK does make power on the Dodge diesel, just not as much as a gasser. Average gain (notice its not "up to") is 8.2 for this application. The $40 difference is the intake tube that AFE does not replace. The K&N tube is less restrictive than OE and that gives better spool up times than stock. K&N offers contingency in APBA, IHBA, NHRA, ARCA, CORR, ATPA, and many more. We are title sponsors of the NHRA Winternationals in Pomona and NHRA Supernationals in Englishtown. We contribute to the well being of motorsports. They are former employees that were let go and have a grudge.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast