Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Does it really make sense to own a boat??????

Tab
    The wife, kids(7 and 9), and I go to Havasu 3 to 4 times a year(for 3 to 5 days per trip). Once a year to Shaver Lake for 5 to 7 days. Once a year to Shasta for 5 to 7 days. And, we would like to add 3 to 5 trips a year to Catalina. In the past we have rented pontoon, alumi's, or ski boats to accomodate our boating needs. I gather from our boat owning friends that many of them don't use their boats a lot more than the # of days we rent/yr. So, owning in this seemingly somewhat common use scinario doesn't seem to pencil. However, for some frickin reason, I feel the NEED to own????? So................ Why do I wan't to, and why are so many, spending $40k to $150k on a boat that they generally know they will only use 20 or so days a year?????????

Havasu Hangin'
    How would you like to lease a DCB for a few weeks per year?

Sleek-Jet
    No.
    We own boats for the same reason people own racecars, airplanes, horses, ect....
    We like them, we think they're cool, and you can't save all your money.

mbrown2
    Your first problem is trying to logically justify having a boat...the ROI does not make sense with a boat......can't even imagine what it cost to have a boat when I factor in the river house and such...don't even want to know..
    Now the ROE (Return on Emotion or Return on Enjoyment) is where it does make sense....and is worth it

Kim Hanson
    I love boating, the other thing is " asset's ', you can never own enough of them...........( . )( . ).......

Fiat48
    Don't bring things like common sense here! Everything I have is totaly justified! There could be a flood and I want to be the first down to safety. And I am sure there are other reasons. Just give me time to justify it.

CEO
    How bout getting using the Money for your self instead of giving it to Uncle Sam, and then writing off the interest
    Ok, wife said I couldn't have a 69, 396 - 4 speed Camero Indy Pace car for 32k that I REALLY wanted. "it's not for the family."
    So You spend more than twice that much for a floating device that attracts drunken naked Women... 'OK"

redneckgirl
    I think most boat owners use their boats more than 20 days a year, at least I know we do. One day on the lake/ocean is better than a day at work!!! We don't do expensive vacations (cruises, trips to Hawaii, Bahamas,etc). Our vacations are weekends and weekdays on the lake. We spent our money up front for our boat "21' Shockwave Step Skier" so our trips to the lake are not very expensive. We paid cash for our boat, so a one day vacation is 40 mnutes from our door. What is that worth, it is priceless? I know it sounds like a commercial!!! We even put 3-1/2 hours on our boat last weekend. IMHO.
    RNG

fourspeednup
    Hey man, if anyone shouldn't own a boat in here it's me. I just turned 19, go to school full time and have very little money from working only on breaks. Unfortunately for me, I have this horrible addiction to water and going fast a lot like most of the other members. It makes no sense whatsoever for me to have something that I can barely afford to use but I figured out a way to do it anyhow. A boat doesn't have to cost $150K, I have great fun with my $3000 jet.

Tab
    You're crowin' me, guys. I had not yet heard the ROE concept, but I definately hear where you're comming from!! I do have toys, just not this sort yet. And yes, I do find that regularly reality often times gets in the way of .............what the hell am I saying..............I NEED a freeeeekin' boat.....I'm diggin' Pantera's for some reason........Any reason to buy one here on the West Coast???(no dealer network(re warranty work), no name recognition(re resale value), but definately seem to be bad ass boats.....

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast