Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nitrous oxide question

Mopar426
    I was considering adding a NOS powershot or cheater to my engine. Is it worth it? My only concern was putting extra wear on my engine. My engine is going to have all the right parts, forged pistons, forged crank, solid cam, roller rockers ect. Is there any reason not to use it? My block is rare and I don't want to trash it.

Infomaniac
    In that day cruiser?
    The development of NOS systems have drastically improved over the years. My personal opinion of NOS has always been that you are living on borrowed time.
    I honestly do not see the risk/reward paying off in a day cruiser.
    One opinion of very many. Take it with a grain of salt.

Moneypitt
    With that many cubes, and the power that can be made the old fashioned way, why mess up a good thing? Some guys will swear by the "juice", Dossangers had a great dual stage, double throw down, crowler injected hydro that ran like a scalded dog, until too much juice blue flamed it at red rock last year.... If you really are worried about hurting "collectable" parts, keep it mellow, as mopar did back when a 426 was ALMOST un beatable.....Moneypitt

cheech
    if you have a rare block, i would not take the chance at all. find one of those easy to find blocks to do the bottle on. if you follow the nitous company's instructions i think you will be supprised on the gaines. but you have to use the best fasteners you can buy with the forged parts you have. just think of the value of the block in stock form before you modify it in any way. it could finance a good power plant.

wsuwrhr
    Don't hurt my wedge motor. Please. Get a 440 if you are ready for juice. If you decide to though,
    http://www.***boat.com/image_center/...c-005f-med.jpg
    Brian

Mopar426
    Originally I was going to use my blower, but then decided to use it on the monster Hemi, I had to decide before I bought the build up parts. I should have soild horepower without NOS. The boat is more of a cruzing machine anyway, not really built for speed, although it will be the fastest Sleek 23 jet around.

quiet riot
    I ran a 250hp shot on my 351w with 2 bolt mains, cast crank, stock rods, and forged slugs for many years and went thru 100's of lbs of n2o. When I took the motor apart this winter everything was fine. The 351w does have 3" mains and a good block, things might vary for your motor. I also used the right fuel setup, timing retard and fuel safety switches. I would talk to someone that knows the block and its strengths if your concerned there, but a properly set up n2o system is very reliable.
    The higher the n2o jetting and the higher the engine comp, the more critical the fuel octane/pressure and timing become. I like it in my little toy boat.
    jd

DansBlown73Nordic
    I have a friend with NOS in a Ford Mustang. He runs a 100 h.p. shot with Hyp. pistons and a stock crank. This car is very fast and he loves to hold the hammer down. It has run for 5 years. Never a problem so far.
    Something I just found out is how much it cost to fill a bottle. To me a blower is a much better idea. You have power when you need it and no bottle to have filled. Just my .03 cents....

wsuwrhr
    All of Dodge RB's are stout motors. Mains are huge. The problem is if something DOES go wrong, you can't cry over spilt milk.
    Brian

LVjetboy
    I've run the bottle for many years. My thought, if your engine's built to handle it and you build the nitrous system to deliver then fine...at least the first season. But what about yearly maintenance? What about a sticky fuel solenoid? What about a plugged fuel injection rail? There's a lot of factors to consider over the life of the system. And if you value your engine? The threat of too much oxygen and meltdown is always there.
    For a large lake jet boat is it worth it?
    jer

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast