Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: '78 Sleekcraft daycruiser question

MANIC MECHANIC
    I am looking at a '78 sleekcraft daycruiser in the boat trader.
    Blown up 350, Merc 260 outdrive.
    Does anyone have any experiance with this hull?
    How would it respond to more HP?
    I know the drive would have to be upgraded to a bravo for any real HP improvements, but would it be worth the expense?
    Did Sleekcraft build good boats?
    Any info that will help me make a more informed decision would be appreciated.
    Tim

1Bahnerjet
    Well they Came with "Play Rooms" what Else do you Need ?
    http://www.***boat.com/image_center/...0/431s-med.jpg
    Check the 26' Sleekcraft Post on the Next Page.

MANIC MECHANIC
    I didn't even know they were still in business, couldn't build to shabby a boat and still be around.
    I'm afraid you lost me on the "next page" suggestion.
    Tim

hydro066
    Tim,
    At that time, Sleekcraft made a top-notch boat. I ordered a 21' daycruiser in '77 and ran it many years. It was a good allround cruise/party/play/ski boat. It still had a somewhat useful "stabbin' cabin". I kinda wanted the larger 23' but it was so damn ugly. The 21 had beautiful lines and so did the 26, but they dropped the ball on the styling on the 23.
    All in all, they're good boats. I think they had 16 deg bottoms, so they are ok for lake use. After I moved down here, I took mine out in the Atlantic one time. The one and only time. About like riding the flat on a crowded day at the river.
    I've got the sales catalog for that year. If you want, I'll send it to you.
    Later,
    John

Liquid Invader
    As usual the answer is in your front door. I also had a 78 sleekcraft 20. But for info, you must ask in person.
    Later 383

cruser
    I have a 78 23' Sleekcraft. I have owned the boat for 20 years. What do you need to know?
    cruzer

Sleek26
    Tim,
    I have a 79 26 Ft. They are very well built. It was a 350 with Mercruiser I/O when I got it . It will soon be a 454 w/ Berkley.
    I have the engine built , but not in yet. The Berkley is in. When I cut the hole to install the jet intake I was surprised to find that the hull was just a shade short of an inch thick on the bottom. You can see the layers of fiber glass fabric. 6 or 8 of them. I'm really looking forward to next season. Unless you have cubic dollars don't even think it is ever going to be fast. That is by fast boat standards. I wouldn't trade mine for too many others. I like the style of the Sleekcraft. I would like to find a fiberglass wing (Radar Arch)for it, but I can't even seen to locate a company that builds them. Good luck I think you would love it if you get it.
    Jerry

Mopar426
    Good choice in daycrusers!! I've had my Sleek 23' for 6 years and have had fun restoring it. You will find that the cabin comes in handy for storage, overniters, rainstorms,ect. They ride a little on the rough side, but are built like tanks. Mine had the original Olds/Jacuuzi setup and was good for about 40-45 tops. I converted it to a high performance Berkeley and a Big wegde Mopar and got it to hit 52mph fully loaded and 60mph with one full tank and two people!!! Not shabby for a 5900 dollar investment. Mine came as a blank plug and i'm going to leave it that way. Last fall I bought a second Sleek 26 that is in awesome shape with a stock 454/Berk with a placediverter. It's slow, but turns heads. Next year it will have a 528 blown hemi and will run with best of them. I don't think you would be disapointed with a Sleek at all. http://www.***boat.com/image_center/...leek23-med.jpg

MANIC MECHANIC
    Thanks for the replies.
    Sleek26,
    what kind of speed could you get with the 350 and Merc drive?
    Tim

Mopar426
    Ahh, I would steer away from a small block. We a talkin heavy lumber here. I rode in my friends 1979 Sleek 23' and he was running a sbc 400/ turbo 400 trans with a v-drive and we had no trouble doing 70-75mph passes, but at a minimum I would go 454/bravo. I seen so many combo's of this boat. I've seen twin 350/w Volvopentas, twin Black max merc's, ect. The jet has it's advantages too. Mine was saftey for my kids, and we like to explore all the coves with hidden underwater obsticles. I raced a 1977 23' with a 454/bravo and he beat me @62mph, but I would stomp him out of the hole all day long. If you are runnin in deep water lakes the I/O would be a good choice.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast