Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Merc's new thumper...any info?

CMABadseed
    anyone have any idea what merc project x is yet....any facts or predictions?
    i was just looking at their website and it looks like it pushes a couple of boats at a real good pace. hopefully this turns out to be the break in 4 stroke tech!

CMABadseed
    hmmmm not much interest i guess. have a look at www.mercurymarine.com
    project x

Tom Brown
    I heard it was a Rotax driven jet pump.

CMABadseed
    rotax?? jet pump??
    on the site it looks like pure bred outboard, down the prop. am i missing something?

Boatmaster
    I heard it was a super charged in-line six that was 100% Merc made in the USA. On a bad note I have heard many times from many merc reps that it has been scrapped, at least the hi-po model.

Boatjob26
    Lou from Lakeland Marine in Havasu has all the info about the new project. It's going to be a new 4-stroke ob, around 275hp stock. Seems like nothing big right? The kick is that it is going to come with an optional turbocharger! All under mercs warrranty, it's suppose to put out around 450hp. As for price, it's not going to be much over the price of a 300x. Can't wait to see it

mbrown2
    I speaking with Mercury Racing at the show, they said it would be a supercharged 4-stroke v-6, and it would be rated around 250 and making its debut in the next year.....No one seems to be talking much about Project X because it appears to be new from the ground up...mid-section new, casing new, etc....
    Maybe the first version won't replace the 300x, but I hear that the torque from this combo 4stroke/supercharged really enhances the performance of the outboard and allows you to throw a bigger pitch prop.....
    We will see..

Tom Brown
    Originally posted by CMABadseed
    ... am i missing something?
    Very much so.
    I think a key point that you may be missing is that I was making a smart-assed comment with no knowledge or idea of what the hell is going on. I cooked up the most ridiculous configuration I could think of and posted it as though I knew what was going on. You know... bullshit style.

Towndrunk
    I guess I'm going to need a 17X42 pitch cleaver.

CMABadseed
    i figured so Tom.....well at any rate i hope it turns out to be something great. says it'll be out at the miami show. maybe i'll talk to the merc guy this weekend up here in NORCAL.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast