Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Flames in pipes

FlatRat
    O.k.,
    I'm running a .030 over 454 with forged 10:01 pistons.A set of 990 heads with 2.25 in and 1.88 ex.A Comp Cams 294 solid,Team G single plane and a Holley 850 DP.Timing is set @36* total @ 3,500 rpms.The problem is I kitted the carb during the winter and now when I run it in the shop after revving a little,flames shoot out of one side when I let off.I thought I might be too rich.78 sec 75 pri,elev.is 3,000 ft.I took it out and it runs good out of the hole but on the top she pops.Any ideas.Thanks Tim

LeE ss13
    Two things to check first. 1. #5 and #7 plug wires are crossed. They are next to each other in the firing order so the engine will still run fairly well until you rev it up. 2. An air leak at the header gasket. It takes extra air to burn the unburned fuel coming out the headers. 75s and 78s doesn't sound to rich for 3000 feet.

Hotcrusader76
    I concurr on the jetting.
    I would look into areas other than carburetor. As stated, air-leaks and ignition would be a good start I would think.
    ~Ty

Blown 472
    Maybe an exhaust valve hanging open?

Sangster
    could be a weak valve spring

LeE ss13
    Speaking of Valve Springs ... you did back off all the rocker arms so all the valves were close and the springs were fully extended for the winter (which I'm guessing gets pretty cold there), right ???

Thunderbutt
    LeE ss13:
    Speaking of Valve Springs ... you did back off all the rocker arms so all the valves were close and the springs were fully extended for the winter (which I'm guessing gets pretty cold there), right ??? LeE, I think you have mentioned that before. I live in cold country,LOTO, How important is it to do what you say. I haven't heard anyone here every talk about it, but that doesn't mean anythink, these guys don't know shit.

FlatRat
    Yes,
    I back off spring pressure for winter.I'm running my old Bassetts untill I get some plumbing issues figured out.One side does have a crack where the flange and primary tube join,and that is the side that flames up.Also, plugs have no color.I ran this same set up last season with no problem.All I did was change intake gaskets during winter.Maybe a leak?What is the best way to check?
    Oh yea,I installed a Accel coil and module
    Thanks,Tim
    [ May 22, 2003, 07:43 PM: Message edited by: FlatRat ]

FlatRat
    Just got back from the lake.I'm thinkin' vacuum leak.No matter what jets I tried,same thing.The beer sure tasted good.Will dig deeper.

GofastRacer
    Thunderbutt:
    LeE ss13:
    Speaking of Valve Springs ... you did back off all the rocker arms so all the valves were close and the springs were fully extended for the winter (which I'm guessing gets pretty cold there), right ??? LeE, I think you have mentioned that before. I live in cold country,LOTO, How important is it to do what you say. I haven't heard anyone here every talk about it, but that doesn't mean anythink, these guys don't know shit. Cold, hot, dry, whatever, don't mean shit!. If the motor is going to sit back them off!. When springs are left compressed, they will lose tention real quick!. If I only let mine sit for a week, I back them off, what the heck how long does it take to run the valves?, 20 minutes, big deal. I just put a fresh set on mine, after 12 years they lost about 10lbs at installed hight!.. eek!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast