Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: new tow rig?

dirtman
    Hey all, I'm getting into a new tow rig for my 26 ft. 5th wheel and boat. Looking at an '04 Dodge 2500 with the cummins. Any complaints from current owners? Or pros/cons?
    Turns out that I should have researched a little bit when I bought my Ford F 250 SD. It's puking out one spark plug on a regular basis. Ran out of warranty and the cost to fix one heli coil is WAY out of line, just to maybe have the other 9 go for shit!!

jackpunx
    So the Ford is over 3 years old?.. What year is it?.. SVT will chime in here.. he is our resident Dodge spokesperson

Outnumbered
    Originally posted by dirtman
    Hey all, I'm getting into a new tow rig for my 26 ft. 5th wheel and boat. Looking at an '04 Dodge 2500 with the cummins. Any complaints from current owners? Or pros/cons?
    Turns out that I should have researched a little bit when I bought my Ford F 250 SD. It's puking out one spark plug on a regular basis. Ran out of warranty and the cost to fix one heli coil is WAY out of line, just to maybe have the other 9 go for shit!!
    I know most people on these boards bag on the Dodge but I have a 2003 4x4 2500 Cummins with 15,000 miles and its been a good truck. The mid 90s dodges had brake problems and the pre 2002 had tranny issues but the new ones are pretty good. Stay away from the HEMI because the 5 speed auto behind it is too weak. Its the same one as the Durango and 1/2 tons use. The Cummins uses the new 4speed auto that is pretty stout. Someone on this board had to lemon a Hemi for a failed tranny.
    Look on all the truck boards and you will find the least issues with the new Dodge, followed by GM, and then Ford. Check the camper boards, the guys towing 35 foot TTs, and they run Dodge most of the time.
    The advantage to the GM/Ford is they ride smoother and have a bigger back seat. The Dodge advantage is a bullet proof motor and axles, higher ride and easier to lift, shorter=easier to park, and cheaper price.
    OL

dirtman
    Yes, it's a '99. Been a real good truck right up to 62,000 miles.
    I'd appreciate any input on this Dodge. Like I said, I want to research it a little better this time! They want lots of money for these trucks and I think it merits a little bit of thought. ( very unlike me to think things thru!! )

dirtman
    Hey Old Lavey thanks for the comments. I had a '94 Dodge short box before this ford and liked it a lot. It was ok to pull my previous trailer, but not near enough truck to pull the 5 th wheel. Now I want to pull the 5th wheel and the boat behind it, so will require a bit of hp I think.
    Did you do anything with the exhaust on yours? There was a guy at the dealership yesterday and his sounded like crap. The one I'm looking at is quiet.

CA Stu
    01 2500 owner here.
    Get the Cummins, you'll love it.
    Good luck
    CA Stu

Outnumbered
    Hey Old Lavey thanks for the comments. I had a '94 Dodge short box before this ford and liked it a lot. It was ok to pull my previous trailer, but not near enough truck to pull the 5 th wheel. Now I want to pull the 5th wheel and the boat behind it, so will require a bit of hp I think.
    Did you do anything with the exhaust on yours? There was a guy at the dealership yesterday and his sounded like crap. The one I'm looking at is quiet.
    The new Cummins is very quiet for a diesel. Its quieter than the Ford and GM. The old Cummins is very noisey and, again, the reputaion is hard to shake. Mine is all stock. I can tell you that the Cali version is screwed up due to emissions but easily fixable with a power module. I'm hoping to do mine soon but it has plenty of power for my boat and Jeep. Find out if you can get the HO in your area. It will save you about $500 or so in computer mods to get the same power from an SO or California version.
    OL

dirtman
    Ok, thanks for taking the time guys. Going into the dealership now and will ask about the HO. $500 is lots of gas in the boat!!

Outnumbered
    Ok, thanks for taking the time guys. Going into the dealership now and will ask about the HO. $500 is lots of gas in the boat!!
    Unfortunately, the HO is not a free upgrade. I think the HO has a sticker about $700 higher than the SO. But its better to get a factory HO and then upgrade from there if you want.
    I guess my info was a little confusing.
    OL

bigq
    I just wanted third what OL and Stu said. I have an 04 2500 Cummins. So far I love it.
    The new 600 is the only one they offer now, guess there could be some SO motors on the lot though.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast