Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How much better are headers ?

Checkmate
    How much better are headers than jacketed logs?
    Are logs better flowing than a manifold on a car?
    Is there a performance difference between thru hull and OT headers?
    The reason for the q's is that I am tossing around the idea of going with headers instead of the losg I have now, but I have a nice hood over my engine and would prefer to keep it. If thru transom headers do not make a big difference over the logs, then why waste my money.
    Thanks for any info, Dan

Blown 472
    Originally posted by Checkmate
    How much better are headers than jacketed logs?
    Are logs better flowing than a manifold on a car?
    Is there a performance difference between thru hull and OT headers?
    The reason for the q's is that I am tossing around the idea of going with headers instead of the losg I have now, but I have a nice hood over my engine and would prefer to keep it. If thru transom headers do not make a big difference over the logs, then why waste my money.
    Thanks for any info, Dan
    First off you would have to remove the cover even with thru transom headers. I did not notice any gain in mph or rpm when I switched from center rise water cooled manifolds to jacketed headers, just a lighter wallet. Your results may vary.

On a mild 460 in my Challenger I was turning 4700rpm with logs and when I switched to Basset twist headers it gave me 400rpm (5100rpm) without doing anything else. Well worth it in my book if you want the noise and you have the boat for em.
    F.J.

HBjet
    Originally posted by Blown 472
    First off you would have to remove the cover even with thru transom headers. I did not notice any gain in mph or rpm when I switched from center rise water cooled manifolds to jacketed headers, just a lighter wallet. Your results may vary.
    You didn't notice any change at all from logs to jacketed headers?
    HBjet

HalletDave
    Originally posted by Blown 472
    Randy,
    I am thinking possibly not seeing much difference over "center rise" logs.
    Snail shells, that's a different story.
    I have never made the switch so I don't know for sure.

Checkmate
    Why would I have to remove the hood for the thru t's ? Do they rise up over the engine or something? Also, since it was mentioned, is there a difference in center risers than the ones I have (I guess end riser)? Thanks again

Danhercules
    The reason you cannot run through transum headers is cause of the heat, am I right on this?
    What about the Lighting water jacketed headers? You can run those under a cover, right?

Tinkerer
    Just about any type of exhaust manifolds are better than logs.
    If you run water jacketed headers or water jacketed aftermarket manifolds you will always see an improvement over logs.
    If you have a stock BB engine headers wont get you much of an improvement over center rise aftermarket manifolds.
    But if you intend to soup it up go with the headers.
    With a small block unless you intend to get real radical stick with the center rise high performance manifolds.

Tinkerer
    I can get real good prices on LIGHTNING HEADERS.
    PM me if interested.
    Friend of mine sells them.

LakesOnly
    Checkmate,
    Unbelievable as it sounds, headers can net you as much as a 80HP gain over traditional thru-transom exhaust.
    With thru-transom exhaust, my old motor would rev to 4800+ rpm, but with only a swap to headers, it would rev to 5200 rpm.
    In answer to your othrer questions:
    ~~~Logs probably do flow better than factory exhaust on a car because it is generally less restrictive and shorter pipes to exit.
    ~~~As far as thru-transom headers, I have never run them but I imagine that over traditional thru-transom logs, they would provide gains similar to going to OT headers. But thru-transom tubular heades radiate tremendous temp and frankly I probably wouldn't get into your boat if I knew you had headers under a hatch (safety reasons).
    Hope this helps,
    LO

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast