Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What makes a boat strong

cc322
    Just looked up the 21 Lavey it is 3850 with the small block ,so with the 496 i bet its close to 4000 lbs, pretty stout for a 21-23 foot boat

Froggystyle
    Originally posted by welk2party
    Pretty mcuh all the reputable builders use similar techniques. I don't think any one thing makes one boat stronger than the other.
    Today....

Kilrtoy
    WES
    Your wife gave my wife plenty of jello shots at the June OP6 , I would like to meet you one day.......

Froggystyle
    You going to the show this weekend?
    Drop me a PM...

Steamin' Rice
    Originally posted by cigarette1
    Pretty damn strong
    I LOVE what you've done to the cabin... Very nice finish!! Can't wait to see that bad boy in person.....

OGShocker
    Originally posted by RiverDave
    Wes, give us a lesson on the
    Uni-directional fiberglass
    Bi-Directional Fiberglass
    and I think tri-directional.. whatever..
    For us lowly shoppers most of us (as evident in this thread that's been up for 2 days) dunno what all that shiznit means.
    I can tell ya what boats are strong vs weak becuase I've ridden in em over rough water etc.. and seen some shaking like a ***** in church, and others making that "thud" and movin on... etc..
    RD
    RD,
    Start a "best and worst" boat thread! That won't stur up any sh*t....LOL...

cc322
    which ones are they riverdave ??????

rivercrazy
    Not all boat builders use the same materials, glass, resins, methods. That is what seperates the better builders from the average builders. Knowledge and experience are also just as important Sometimes its what you don't see that makes all the difference

spectras only
    x

Havasu_Dreamin
    Keep in mind, this is based on my own research when looking to buy a new boat in 2000 and Wes will have way more knoweldge than I could ever have on this subject.
    Types of glass (in terms of direction of the glass):
    Random: this type of fiberglass when you look at it just has the fiberglass going in many different directions, there is no pattern to the "madness"
    Bi-Directional: this type of fiberglass has the glass laid out in a pattern follwoing two directions, vertical and horizontal, and are interwoven.
    Tri-Directional: this type of glass is essentially the same as bi-directional except now instead of having a glass pattern on two axis it is now on three axis'. Again, the glass is interwoven.
    Quad-Directional: also referred to as quad-axial becasue it is fiberglass interwoven on 4 different axis'.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast