Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Arneson Surface Drive

Tom Brown
    I would guess an Arneson will handle similar to an outboard with a propshaft jacked to the surface. In other words, extremely poorly. Also, I understand low speed handling around docks and such is practically nonexistent. Don't forget you'll need a transmission if you want reverse.
    The simplicity and high x dimension is super compelling, though. They make drives with a Mercury propshaft now that can take surfacing outboard props so that's no big deal either.
    I really don't get the safety issue. Are they really that much nastier than any other prop system? At least the prop is up where you can see it.

Havasu Hangin'
    Originally posted by Tom Brown
    I really don't get the safety issue. Are they really that much nastier than any other prop system? At least the prop is up where you can see it.
    The prop location is higher (and the prop diameter is bigger) and farther back than an outdrive. Also, notice how there is little or no cavitation plate? With a normal outdrive, the cavitation acts like a guard.
    http://www.***boat.com/image_center/...boat_sucks.jpg
    I step on mine to get onto the swimsteps.

riverman1975
    i guy here in iowa runs arsen drives on his skater. they have a 40 skater with (2) 1200 plus blown motors that run over 178mph. maybe you have seen the bad girl in hot boats before. i think they are looking to set the offshore record or something. they now fabicate and sell custom build motors for race boats. i heard they did the peir 57 boat last summer.

Tom Brown
    Originally posted by Havasu Hangin'
    The prop location is higher (and the prop diameter is bigger) and farther back than an outdrive. Also, notice how there is little or no cavitation plate? With a normal outdrive, the cavitation acts like a guard.
    I step on mine to get onto the swimsteps.
    Some models have rudders on each side of the prop.
    http://arneson-industries.com/ASD8S.jpg
    I always step on the cavitation plate to get into my boat too. It seems dangerous to me but it's the only way at the moment.

Boatlesss
    I believe they have made a cover for the propeller now on the newer drive models which should help in case someone slipped off the back of the boat and accidentally fell onto the drive units.
    Personally, if I was afraid of getting bit by the shark, I'd not swim in the water near them. Same goes for the outboards (every trip one of the bimbo's cuts her foot on the outboards propellers) and Bravo's. A cav plate does no good from the sides or bottom when one is swimming.
    There's plenty of water away from the back of the boat!

al cole'holic
    Originally posted by Boatlesss
    I believe they have made a cover for the propeller now on the newer drive models which should help in case someone slipped off the back of the boat and accidentally fell onto the drive units.
    ..case in point
    ..but then again, where else would I be able to get a "prop check" tattoo?

Boatlesss
    For me, I could care less what's on the back of the boat as long as it is reliable and fast.
    Everyone here wants more performance but then cries over the smallest detail. Swimming and performance boating are not exactly the first two things that come to mind although safety is a concern diving off the stern of a boat is not a smart thing to do regardless of which drive is on the boat.
    As I stated earlier, I know more problems with the outboards (300xÂ’s) than any other drive I or my friends might have.

Wet1
    I don't see why many are posting comments about the props. Don't know about you guys, but the cleavers on the back of my cat are HIDDEN under the water and VERY sharp. I'd prefer that they were at the surface so they could be seen (avoided more easily).
    If money were no object, I'd take a good surface drive system over anything offered by Merc!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123