Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rex I Have a question for you.

BoatFloating
    Can you tell me did Gaffrig Performance win any court battle or made some sort of agreement with Livorsi. I know they are 2 seperate companies and Livorsi claimed they carried true Gaffrig products. I just got a flyer in the mail from Livorsi and not anywhere on the paper does it have Gaffrig. The gauges all say Livorsi in the spot Gaffrig used to go. And in Hot Boat it said the web site was Livorsi.com or gaffrig .com and gaffrig .com doesn't work. I figured you know the scoop, but it looks to me like Livorsi lost the Gaffrig name. Ouch! that could hurt.
    Just to let you know I'm getting all my gauges thru you when I start my new boat. I'm going Pro Comp they are nice looking pieces. How are they working out for you? Do you carry the Machine Marine shifters? I see you are a dealer for them.

Gaffrig Performance (Mike Schultz) did win the long pending court battle with Mike Livorsi over the Gaffrig name in December. This has been in litigation for 2-3 years. I could write a novel on the history and details but I'll skip that for now. My understanding is that Livorsi must stop using the Gaffrig name on all product and advertising immediately. I've heard he plans to continue under the Livorsi name and Gaffrig Performance will go forward as the one company legally entitled to use the Gaffrig name. Like I said above I could write a novel on the history of all this but this probably isn't the place for it. I'll just say I think the court made the correct decision and leave it at that.
    Pro Comp Marine is working out excellent and is an excellent quality product. It contains some features that regular automotive Pro Comp does not so it's not just the same gauge with marine printed on it. I can order Marine Machine shifter but don't stock them. They are top quality and also top priced. We also stock Gaffrig Performance shifters too.

Essex502
    So...are Gaffrig gauges no longer?

BoatFloating
    There will still be Gaffrig gauges since there was always 2 manufactures of them. They will come from Gaffrig Performance instead of Livorsi. In my opinion Livorsi had a better selection of gauges and nicer newer shifters and other parts. So the only difference is that they will say Livorsi instead of Gaffrig . So if you can live with the name change then your ok. If you want the Gaffrig name then you need to go with .GaffrigPerformance (http://www.gaffrigperformance.com/index.cfm) and by the looks of the website there products are a little dated. Livorsi seemed to always bring out new and was always greating new products. This could hurt Livorsi in the long run, we will see.
    Rex, thanks for the info.

Essex502
    Originally posted by BoatFloating
    There will still be Gaffrig gauges since there was always 2 manufactures of them. They will come from Gaffrig Performance instead of Livorsi. In my opinion Livorsi had a better selection of gauges and nicer newer shifters and other parts. So the only difference is that they will say Livorsi instead of Gaffrig . So if you can live with the name change then your ok. If you want the Gaffrig name then you need to go with .GaffrigPerformance (http://www.gaffrigperformance.com/index.cfm) and by the looks of the website there products are a little dated. Livorsi seemed to always bring out new and was always greating new products. This could hurt Livorsi in the long run, we will see.
    Rex, thanks for the info.
    I wonder who made the "Gaffrig" gauges that came in my boat?

BoatFloating
    Originally posted by Essex502
    Depends where you got them from? If they are the Monster gauges then I would say Livorsi. As long as they work it doesn't matter.

summerlove
    Originally posted by Essex502
    A guy named Fernando from a small sleepy town in the state of Oaxaca, Mexico. He's a poor sloppy soul who drinks way too much tequila, panders too much, and chases women all day and night. Actually, he had his younger sister help him, Heather. Now, Heaterh's quite a girl around town, if you know what I mean - she charges $10 an hour for being worked on, and with an abundant number of customers, she works very, very, Hard!
    Oh, your gages, sorry, my bad. I was off in a little dream world for a few minutes. They were made by Gretchen, a women with a rather large bosom from Sweden.......

Essex to answer that question you'd have to know the sources. Neither Gaffrig makes it's own gauges. Just like Rex Marine has AutoMeter produce its private label line of AccuComp on an OEM basis, these companies do likewise with AutoMeter and other gauge suppliers. The only difference is we tell you up front who makes ours and it's actually printed on the dials. There are only a handful of core gauge producers, AutoMeter, Datcon, Beede, Faria, VDO, Stewart Warner being some of them. On the other hand there are hundreds of companies buying gauges from these core gauge companies and using their own private label on the gauges.
    But revealing the source of the gauges has not been the case with either Gaffrig's marketing. And Livorsi's been quite successful with that marketing approach so don't interpret what I'm saying about it as being critical of it. He has had brilliant and very successful marketing, at least until he lost the court case.

BoatFloating
    Rex would you say that the majority came from Livorsi, they seemed to always bring new products to market. Now I know Livorsi has taken so long to get their website done!

The majority of Gaffrig gauges in the past have probably come from Livorsi. Gaffrig performance only added gauges the past 2-3 years I think.
    Livorsi's website to my knowledge was up until the court dealio came down. My guess is that if it's down now it's a Gaffrig name issue resulting from the court order to stop using the name. Again, just speculation on my part.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast