Thread: out drives

need a faster boat
    is there a way to bullet profe the alpha 1 out drive, to handle more hp? eek!
    [ October 01, 2003, 08:10 PM: Message edited by: need a faster boat ]

Dr. Eagle
    Not that I am aware of...as far as I know there are not the upgraded shafts and gear sets for Alpha. It is a design that is about to it's limit.
    [ October 01, 2003, 07:17 PM: Message edited by: Dr. Eagle ]

need a faster boat
    what goes wrong with the out drives?

Dr. Eagle
    They have a very low tech transmission that is really kind of a crash box. There is actually an electronic module on the engine that pulses or interrupts the ignition for a few seconds to unload the gears so that the dog can disengage from the gears.
    The gear sets (forward and reverse) are located in the torpedo in the bottom of the drive just ahead of the prop.
    They are engaged by a clutch dog, that just kind of grabs the gear that you shift it into. These shifts wear the gears and dog a little every time you shift. There is no real way to upgrade those components. It was designed for the 350 cu in engine as a maximum. Metallurgy may have improved the alpha a little over the years, but if it has it has taken it pretty close to the limit.
    If you could see the shifter system and gears you would be surprised that it takes as much torque as it does. Torque is the killer as well as fast shifts and slams from forward to reverse.
    Bottom line is that this drive is not suitable for high horsepower or high torque engines.
    I recetly read an article by Tyler Crockett in powerboat where a guy was asking about a 375 horsepower crate engine in a boat with an alpha. His response was that it might work but to prop it for high revs (5500 to 5700 which is about 1000 higher than the stock engine) because it would be easier on the drive. Makes sense but reading between the lines, you can surmise it is not well advised to go very far with the alpha.
    Sorry for the longwinded post, but it is a deep subject.

Dr. Eagle
    need a faster boat:
    what goes wrong with the out drives? most common failure in the drives is the gear sets or dog clutch fail. I beleive that the vertical shafts can break as well. I have also seen the propshaft snap cleanly in two, but I believe that was from a bottom strike. Fixing a broken drive more than once is likely to be as expensive or more as upgrading to a bravo.
    [ October 01, 2003, 07:40 PM: Message edited by: Dr. Eagle ]