Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Impeller Replacement on a Bravo I

Trash
    Okay, I'm a lucky one. I got over 8 seasons (years actually) on my original bone stock pump. 518 hours to be exact. I was EXTREMELY lucky when it did finally let go. I had just launched off the trailer when it failed. During my routine checks after start-up I noticed the water temp coming off the peg a LOT sooner than normal, especially considering the cold water I was in (Willow Beach, Lake Mohave). I looked over the back and noticed no water coming out the pipes. Yikes. Quickly docked and shut her down. No over heat, no damage except the pump. I did have a new spare pump I had just purchased for such a situation. If I was smarter I would have swapped pumps prior to this trip.
    Despite the fact the pump changed out relatively easily (took about 45-60 minutes on the trailer), when I got home I had to back flush every hose I could find that was 'south' of the thermostat housing. I found one large piece in the power steering cooler and another in the thermostat housing itself. It had lodged in the thermostat at one point not allowing it to close. Engine had a tough time maintaing temperature.
    I'm not so sure I'll be as lucky next time.

Dr. Eagle
    Trash:
    Okay, I'm a lucky one. I got over 8 seasons (years actually) on my original bone stock pump. 518 hours to be exact. I was EXTREMELY lucky when it did finally let go. I had just launched off the trailer when it failed. During my routine checks after start-up I noticed the water temp coming off the peg a LOT sooner than normal, especially considering the cold water I was in (Willow Beach, Lake Mohave). I looked over the back and noticed no water coming out the pipes. Yikes. Quickly docked and shut her down. No over heat, no damage except the pump. I did have a new spare pump I had just purchased for such a situation. If I was smarter I would have swapped pumps prior to this trip.
    Despite the fact the pump changed out relatively easily (took about 45-60 minutes on the trailer), when I got home I had to back flush every hose I could find that was 'south' of the thermostat housing. I found one large piece in the power steering cooler and another in the thermostat housing itself. It had lodged in the thermostat at one point not allowing it to close. Engine had a tough time maintaing temperature.
    I'm not so sure I'll be as lucky next time. Your pump must have been pretty accessible. Mine was very close to the back seat which has so much electrical stuff on it I cannot take it out of the way easily. I took about 3 hours and numerous cuts, scrapes and bruises to get it done on the water. But that was with twin engines too, not a lot of room to work.
    I have never heard of anyone getting more than 150 hours out of a pump. You are the first! I believe that that OMC pump would have lasted that long easily, not the merc.
    [ October 01, 2003, 09:44 PM: Message edited by: Dr. Eagle ]

Trash
    Dr. Eagle,
    I can't believe I got that much life out of it either!! To be honest I never gave it much thought until I started to do some research of late. It spooked me enough to go buy a replacement pump, but not enough to pre-emptively change it prior to that trip.
    As far as access, yes I have easy access (no twins ) as the back of the bench seat rises up with the rear sunpad. In fact I did a dry run fit of all the required tools before I left. Hardest part was getting the frickin' hoses off. I could grab them easily, but had no leverage. You would think with all the tool and planning prep I did, it would have been smarter to change pumps earlier. No body said I was smart.

Dr. Eagle
    Yeah man, I had the same issue with the hoses. I made the mistake on one of taking the intake hose off at the transom since I just couldn't get it off at the back of the pump. Jeeeezzz was that ta headache to get reconnected.
    I was not so swift waiting to do the maintenance either... I was told that it must be done each season. But after my experience with the OMC which I had for about 12 years and 1000 hours, I Thought this must be a similar story. I could easily get 2 or 300 hours and the impeller still looked new...soooo I thought it was just the shop trying to keep a steady flow of business. Little did he know I was gonna do it myself.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123