Thread: cast vs aluminum heads

canuck1
    aluminum dart pro 1

Squirtin Thunder
    Heads ??????????????????
    Ok here is the deal cast heads hold heat = Good for power
    Cast are a whole lot cheeper= Good on wallet
    Cast are a whole lot tougher= Good for reliability
    Aluminum heads are Light= Good to go fas Aluminum heads flow better right out of the box= Good for HP
    I always go cast its safer and 700hp+ capable

h2ojet001
    Thanks for the input I think I am going to stick to the iron heads for now and save the extra $$$ for the bottom end. I am planning on using a roller cam and some good forged pistons probably the SRP low dome. The block hasn't been maged yet so I am hoping I don't end up getting a new block also. :frown:
    Barry

RedRocket
    heads holding heat makes detonation not power. Aluminum heads can run one full comp. point higher than iron and make more power on the same fuel because they dissipate heat. 75lbs. in my jetboat gives me a couple mph., worth the few hunded extra bucks for me. Also ,I've had mine off a couple times and never had to resurface them, just good gaskets and no warpage yet.

gnarley
    Originally posted by schiada96
    Go iorn and save the money for better bottom end parts. Aluminum heads every time you take one off after running you have to surface it. How many times do you want to do that. Iorn is a better deal for a non race app. I don't see 75 lbs making that big of a difference. But if you got the bucks and don't mind the xtra work buy the aluminum.
    Sorry I can't agree with much you are saying. You should ONLY need to resurface aluminum heads if you have a warpage problem. If you have a constant warpage problem every time you lift an aluminum head you have other problems. And as far as weighing less with aluminum need you forget what a HP to weight ratio is? The less you weigh with a given HP the faster you should go.

HOSS
    If you are building low comp motor go iron. High comp, aluminum.
    Bang for buck? Iron wins. Dependabiltiy, iron. You also need to look at the water you run in. Whats easier to sandblast? Iron or aluminum? Running a closed cooling system? Aluminum all the way `cause if you got that much money in it then you can splurge for aluminum. Or you could always do what I am going to do and find all the junk that`ll bolt to it and run it till it blows. Then buy someones boat off this site that they spent all the money on already. The wagon sucks during Superbowl. Can`t be the usual asshole that everyone`s acustom to.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12