Page 1 of 25 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: So Are You Still Observing the Picket Lines At The Grocery Stores?

MagicMtnDan
    We didn't from day one.
    The union's nuts. Today they were supposed to picket in front of one of the grocery stores' CEO's house!
    How can these workers think they have any leverage at all with the store chains? Is it because the union leaders tell them they do?
    It seems obvious to me that the stores are out to bust the union.
    The strikers have no chance of EVER getting back the money they've lost while out on strike.
    How can these low-to-middle income workers afford to stay on strike?

welk2party
    They have no chance of ever making that money back. The fact that management even refuses to come to the negotiating table should tell them they are out to bust the union.
    My wife and I cross all the time. Gotta eat! We pay huge for our healthcare...nobody to complain and bitch to about it.

mirvin
    Nope

JetBoatRich
    The union is saying the benefits will stop soon:yuk: We observed for a while, I went in a few different times. Had an incisdent with a striker, jerk Problem is nothing is on sale anymore, they need to make up money for lost income. Became a gold member at Costco and said screw Vons. At the same time, the senior store people make a pretty big hourly wage. My neighbor friend was making $38 an hour as a cashier, to scan food sure they cut her hours but come on $38 an hour Not many people make that for an unskilled job, IMO.
    They will hire cheaper labor and move on

framer1
    The workers don't have a chance to win they should have realize that you shouldn't go on strike if your job only takes 3 hours to learn

bear down
    Don't get me started on Unions.... ...We try to buy as much as we can at the stores that have strikers pickiting the stores. We are still dealing with our drivers on strike. An example of the deceit and lies by union official was that last week all the drivers at their camp by our warehouse facility all cheered and applauded as one of the union officials was talking to them. A union official was motivating the strikers to stay the course and keep the strike strong and that it is almost over and that the companies stock was tumbling and losing lots of money. Well the funny thing is that our company is a private company and we are not publicly traded as the union said. Sorry for the rant but I feel bad for the strikers who are just misguided.

Ziggy
    If no agreement can be made in the near future and the Arbitration leader declares an impass then the stores will be legally allowed to hire new permament non-union employees. Most recent tactic in San Diego county was the picketers returned to Ralphs(or were supposed to) but not to harrass the customers but rather to block the loading docks....
    I feel for the workers that have been put out but their leadership colored them a poor picture from the beginning, plus public opinion has not been behind the strike as they have in years past.
    To answer your question Dan, been crossing the line from day one.

WHIPPED502
    I haven't crossed the picket line nor have most of the people I have talked to. There are other grocery chains to shop at that aren't on strike. I have heard it so many times, "I have to pay for my insurance why shouldn't they?" These people sound like a bunch of little jelous kids. Little Bobby got a toy, why didn't I get one? Wa wa wa.
    There are other chains that make a profit and pay their employee's the same benefits and salary as Ralphs, Vons, and Albertsons. They just know how to contol there payroll spending and inventory. I feel these people are fighting the battle for those that do have paid insurance. If they lose we may see other companies try to take the same path. We should feel good for what these people have and not be upset about what you don't have.
    No I don't work in the grocery business!!!!!!

DAB
    I've been crossing from day 1. Not that I am anti-union, my father was an Iron Worker for 25 years, and my little brother is a meat cutter for Albertsons. I think they put a little too much faith this time into their Union Reps to be able to strike a deal rather quickly, for the length of time they have been off the money they have list would have more than covered any increases in premiums and a possible reduction in hours. Like it has been said many times, as my companies Health costs rise, so do my premiums.

BoatFloating
    Originally posted by JetBoatRich
    [B] My neighbor friend was making $38 an hour as a cashier, to scan food sure they cut her hours but come on $38 an hour Not many people make that for an unskilled job, IMO[./B]
    JBR, I don't know what union your neighbor works for but the top pay for a Journeyman Clerk is $17.90 a hour. They do get time and 1/2 on Sundays and triple time on major holidays.
    The battle is between the union for survial and the companies and the employee's are caught in the middle. This strike has hurt my business and I'll cross anytime and did from day one. The union is out of touch with the world.

Page 1 of 25 1234511 ... LastLast