Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Access Technologies speakers?

ROZ
    Originally posted by Craig
    Speaker pods, hmmm, now that might work I'll have to pull the cover off this weekend and crawl in there. As for demands, I just want a single disc CD player, maybe some decent power, don't have an amp at this time. Doesn't have to be "marine". What stores does your friend have? I'm in Peoria, next to Glendale.
    Craig
    Yup...Some type of pod will appear more custom than any outdoor type speaker:
    http://speedoptions.com/features/specials/5/pic38.jpg
    The company I work for owns Showcase Home Entertainment... :wink:

Craig
    Is there a rule of thumb on how much air space these pods need behind the speaker? I do have a bulkhead I could mount the speakers in, but the back would be open to the under deck area. Does this need an enclosure around the back and if so, again, how big?

ROZ
    No... Most speakers are designed infinite baffle. Meaning that there is no real defined amount of air space needed. Doors and trunks are not competely sealed and/or are quite large. On the flip side, making a pod or box too small can create heavily muffled midrange and not enough bottom end....
    I've made several pods. Some I consulted the mfg to find out how little airspace I neede if I had to seal the pod. Others I didn't make too small and left room for ventillation... You kinda get an eye for it after a while....But that was looong ago..lol
    There are some models that require a defined enclosure, right TOBTEK?
    If your bulkhead is too far foward, you may not even want to put them there. If you feel the mounting location is far enough back as to not inhibit sound output, you should be fine mounting them there without an enclosure behind them... To gain a little more bottom end, a good pair of 6x9's might work well in this case... If you decide to do pods on your panels for 6.5" speakers, you can make pods that are tilted up and toward you a bit....

rivercrazy
    Roz always has the answers!
    When I put my last system together I asked the Mfg of my speakers what the correct enclosure size would be for some 6.5 comps and 6X9's. They said 1/3rd of a cubic foot each. I was only able to accommodate 1 set of 6X9's due to the internal dimensions of my boats side panels. But I can definately hear the difference in this set. Tighter and lower bass response and a bit more volume. In a boat, there is practially unlimited air space behind speakers in a side panel. And the sound really travels behind the panel. As a result you get some volume loss and weird resonances in certain locations in the boat. If you can, build enclosures.

Craig
    Thanks again everyone. I'm going to really look at the bulkhead mount. The bulkhead isn't far back under the deck, it's right where your feet would be when sitting in the front seats. 6X9's would easily fit in there.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12