Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pump intake sealer

Blown 472
    What is the sealer used to seal the intakes back into the hulls?

HammerDown
    Sea Going Poxy Putty the HD product...hard as Iron!

Blown 472
    Thank you sir.

HammerDown
    Your welcome...a tip, if I may....get extra.

Jake W
    Blown how many times are you going to ask this question?
    Jake

DORIGHT
    I have a question about intakes:
    When your new at setting them, or have never set one actually,
    I understand that you go off the bottom of the Hull to get your true angle of Zero and then set the intake to a predetermind angle measured from wear the pump would bolt onto the Intake is this correct?

Hull = Tunnel, Intake = Dominator angle = ???? I have been told 4 and 6 degrees leval side to side with bottom of hull too.

I was going to have Duan Oblander or Evin Cap do it but I have moved out here to Vegas with the hull so it looks like im going to have to do it here in the near future, Have considerd MPD to do it but phone tag is no fun, and I would have to haul it to him for an estimate on the work.

Mopar426
    I set a protractor on the keel and had a friend crank the trailer winch up and down till the protractor read zero. Then we leveled the trailer using jack stands (used a carpenters level across the stringers) now we had true level side to side and true zero front to back on the keel. I set the intake in the hole and used threaded studs(not the wood wedges) to adjust the angle of the intake mounting surface to 6 degrees with the protractor. We double checked everything and pulled the intake. I used duct tape around the hole on places where I didn't want the epoxy to stick. I mixed up a big batch of marine tex and gobbed it around the hole and on the bottom of the intake and set it in place. Had to work fast and get the bolts in before the epoxy set. After it set up I pulled the tape. The job turned out real professional and best of all leak free.

DORIGHT
    What has your top speed been with the Intake set at 6 degrees?
    And what kind of Hull is it and type of Intake and pump?

Mopar426
    This was on my Jacuuzi to Berkeley conversion. The pump is a stage 2 JC I got from Walt's ***boat service. I don't really know how much gain I got because I put in a new engine at the same time. With 6 deg. it seems to plane out faster due to the thrust angle pushing the transom upward. The alignment had to be dead on because the bowl trim cover went on nice and smooth. I didn't have to gob silicon around the o-ring to get a good seal, it sealled as advertised.

Mopar426
    Oh, the hull is a 1975 Sleek 23'.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast