Thread: Help from Phoenix area ?

restofreak
    Looking for a little advice from Phoenix residents. I am heading to the drags at Firebird in May and I'm looking for a little sight seeing advice for the off days. Would love to get in touch with someone to help me out with the best way to do the Grand Canyon etc. Any help appreciated.
    Just for you Socal guys........ It's -15degrees Celcius here. Enjoy your " winter" !

Lookin for Liquid
    There used to be a place called the "Alaskan Bush Co" in Phoenix. Your normal strip club with about 75 girls and they did not have a liquor license so they let you bring in your own beer. Great business for the seven-eleven across the street.

Kurtis500
    Let me know what you want to do. Sight seeing?? you mean driving around sight seeing or the topless bar?
    I know this town very well, so I should be able to point you in the right direction...

Kurtis500
    Originally posted by Lookin for Liquid
    There used to be a place called the "Alaskan Bush Co" in Phoenix. Your normal strip club with about 75 girls and they did not have a liquor license so they let you bring in your own beer. Great business for the seven-eleven across the street.
    They dont allow alcohol because its a full nude bar. Theres the Bush Co. #2 that has alcohol and is only topless.

gochappy
    or perhaps both are right........you know driving around sightseeing all the topless bars...

restofreak
    No, don't really need to see rippers. We have some pretty unbelievable clubs around here, and no " rules " like you guys have down there. I wanna go to flagstaff and take that train into the canyon. Any good? I will have a car so ,what should I see while I'm there?( countryside?) Anything interesting around Tucson?

Kurtis500
    I would avoid the Williams/Grand Canyon railroad. I've done it, pretty slow and boring deal IMO. It takes you to the same place your car does just MUCH slower. You also cant take-off around the canyon like you can with a car. Flagstaff is very nice. You will want to take highway 179/89 off of I-17 north from Phoenix. I-17 and 89 will both take you to Flagstaff, but 179/89 will go through Sedona and Oak Creek Canyon. Two places you would want to see, especially if your on your way there anyways. Flagstaff is high in elevation, around 7000 or so, and theres a lot of tall pines that way. Something you wouldnt expect in Arizona. One of my favorite drives anywhere is close by Phoenix and easily done in less than a day. You go east of Phoenix to the Apache Trail (highway 88) and drive up through Canyon, Apache, and Roosevelt lakes. Then go south to Globe and back to Phx through Superior. You could also go north from Roosevelt on 288 to Young and then back to Phoenix through Payson. Both easily done round trip in less than a day and a lot to see. Going along the Apache Trail has most all of the scenery you would expect from the desert. If you go to Tucson and want to take the more scenic route you can go east of Phx to Superior and then south on 177/77 through Winkleman and on to Oro Valley and north Tucson. Mount Lemon (although burned) is a really neat place to visit. Believe it or not, there is snow skiing up there when there enough snow. Way south of Tucson is Tombstone also. Pretty neat place to see, especially Boot Hill. If all those tombstones are real that place would have been pretty scary back then. Of course you could go west of Phx on a pretty boring drive, but end up in Parker and Havasu a couple hours later.

restofreak
    Thanks Kurtis500. I'll save those details and maybe mail you with some questions a little closer to race day.
    By the way, how did you make out with your carbon 392 valve covers? I'm an advanced composite mold and pattern maker in aerospace and was watching your progress on them but you havn't mentioned them lately. Sold any?

Kurtis500
    Originally posted by restofreak
    Thanks Kurtis500. I'll save those details and maybe mail you with some questions a little closer to race day.
    By the way, how did you make out with your carbon 392 valve covers? I'm an advanced composite mold and pattern maker in aerospace and was watching your progress on them but you havn't mentioned them lately. Sold any?
    Yes and no. I took out an ad in the Goodguys Gazette last April. Before the ad came out the Goodguys outlawed the parts. I had talked to thier tech director 9 months before and they were sceptical about them then. Between the time I talked to him and my ad came out they stepped forward and outlawed the parts. Seems I should have not said anything ahead of time. Of all the people I talked to or e-mailed, I would say an honest 15-18 people where ready to purchase had they been legal. Funny thing was, all my requests were from racers, only two rodders ever rang my phone. So I put the molds aside and built a brand new shop on the back of my property for just building parts and my race boat, of course. I was contacted by Gene Adams about 6 months ago about my parts. I told him they were outlawed and I was moving on to late hemi and BBC parts, along with other things once my shop was finished. He said he would see what he could do about the rule. His driver/partner, John Rasmussen then called. He wanted the parts bad and led a 3 month long fight with the VRA to get them legalized. To make a long story not so long, once they had my parts in thier hand back in October, along with John's and a few other racers efforts, my parts are now legal. I have made no effort to sell since then and have concentrated on 4-5 other parts since. I am building a new valve cover for Gene Adams which will be on his dragster by next Friday and the National Time Trials here at Firebird. This valve cover will be the one I sell for the racers. I also have a set of carbon injector stack tubes for his Jr. Fuel car, 1.5 ounces a piece. The valve cover mold is build for the dimensions to accept a ballistic fabric to meet the SFI 14.4 spec. This is also the same for my late model hemi oil pan mold (which is done) and the late hemi valve covers I will finish in a month or two. As you know, RTM can yield some amazing composite parts with multiple dimensions. Although some parts I do make with pre-pregs. The blast retention parts are going to HP White for testing right after the Time Trials. I have talked to the national tech director for NHRA and the possibility of allowing carbon parts back in racing if they have a blast retention value, are fire resistant, and can pass the military v50 tests. We are looking forward to meeting each other soon Hopefully all goes well. Sorry to give you an earfull, but you asked
    I will have pics up withing a week or two of a few items. My first should be the bullet style 3 1/2 gallon carbon fiber fuel tank. It's made with RTM, a 4 part mold and investment casting. The tank will have no seams to it and be ultra light and super strong. I'll post pics pretty soon.