Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: 730 Hp

victorfb
    im not sure id agree with wanting HP and not torque. its torque that is needed to spin a motor under a load. and the more load, the more torque needed. now RPMs are differant story. but in a jet boat, you need both.

cheech
    if you add torque and horsepower you will get speed.

cheech
    victor do you know how much torque is to much?

cheech
    i wanted to see how i can get 730 hp out of a 508 with 9.5 to motor with out running some kind of power booster?

LVjetboy
    Cheech, I'll be happy to give you my numbers, do you want dyno measured or dyno corrected or estimated Lake Mead #'s? I may retire from hp vs Q discussions. No matter how detailed and complete the explaination of why power is more important than torque, the question still pops up. Maybe I should devote a web site to the pages of details I've posted in the past. That way just post a link and be done with it.
    Myth #1 "You want more torque below 5252 rpm and more power above. 5252 is a magic number 'cause that's where they o my god cross. I seen it with my own eyes."
    Ever hear that one? The list goes on...
    jer

cheech
    i am refering to cruisers not DRAG BOATS, since most of these boats stay below 6000 rpms. then i would think the TORQUE issue is more important. because the only way to make a good hp # is to increase cubic inches. since hp will increase with rpm.

cheech
    when i said the cubic inch statement i ment that if you only run 6000 to get more hp with in that rpm you need to go bigger.

77charger
    Hp is what you need but also the torque to get to the rpm.IMO both are important or the right match.Seems there is a magic combo that works well
    Not all hp and low torque or lots of torque but low hp

HBjet
    Originally posted by riodog
    Fire it on the TRAILER and floor it and tell me what you get.
    Do what he said, and take a video if it too. It will be fun to watch!
    HBjet

PC Rat
    I've never understood the horsepower vs torque debates.
    You are comparing a measured value with a calculated value.
    You measure the torque, multiply by the rpm and divide by the constant 5252 and you get a calculated horsepower. You cannot say that you don't want torque - it's part of the equation. Any time you increase torque, at a certain rpm, you increase your horsepower.
    There should be no arguement - if you want more horsepower you need more torque. You just have to figure out how to build more torque at the rpm you want the increase.
    Brian

Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast