Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: 730 Hp

cyclone
    Originally posted by Infomaniac
    I'm so confused
    I am surprised this subject has not come up before.
    what are you confused about? i'm confused about the whole hp vs. torque thing.

Infomaniac
    That was directed toward LVjetboy.
    We have had numerous discussions about this. That was me quoted early in the thread. Shoot for torque if your RPM's are to be 5,252 or less.

Infomaniac
    Originally posted by cyclone
    what are you confused about? i'm confused about the whole hp vs. torque thing.
    I have always lived by Torque is a mechanical measurement and HP is a mathmatical calculation. LV has explained that torque is a calculation as well.
    LV man uses Power in general to rate engines. I hope he explains how. I am always looking to learn something new.

cyclone
    i always figured that since one is a derivative of the other, just build for the most power in general and everything else is relative.

Infomaniac
    Yes, I guess I am missing the point.
    What exactly is power? What is the unit and how is it measured?

cyclone
    if i knew that answer i'd be less confused.
    by power in general i meant both horsepower and torque.
    i'd have to go get a book out to quote the definitions of either.

cyclone
    Originally posted by Infomaniac
    I have always lived by Torque is a mechanical measurement and HP is a mathmatical calculation. LV has explained that torque is a calculation as well.
    LV man uses Power in general to rate engines. I hope he explains how. I am always looking to learn something new.
    i have heard that an engine dyno measures torque but that a chassis dyno measures horsepower. yet another claim to confuse me.

78Eliminator
    HP is what the engine is capable of doing. Torque is how fast it can get there.
    Lets take rod length for example. In a short track racecar, you might opt for a motor with longer rods. Longer rods give you engine more torque due to leverage. This will get you out of the corners faster.
    Now what about super long tracks with endless striaghts? Probably going to run a shorter rod and spin the beJesus out of the motor to make more hp.
    Power is a blanket statement and should not be used around this place.....

fourspeednup
    Originally posted by cyclone
    i have heard that an engine dyno measures torque but that a chassis dyno measures horsepower. yet another claim to confuse me.
    I don't think so, pretty sure they are very similar in principle. One just uses the wheels to turn and the other is spun directly off the motor. Correct me if I'm wrong I can always use more engine knowledge

victorfb
    this is just my understanding, but HP vs torque are equally important. all depends on what you are trying to achieve. its been mentioned that a small block chevy with 500 HP and a BBC with 500 HP will do the same job. but no mention of torque. more cubic inches normally will have a better torque curve. you can build a 500 HP small block and 500 HP BBC and ill bet the BBC will have alot more torque. and thats the grunt pulling power. you need the torque to get the rpms up especially with a load.

Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast