Thread: Problems Planning

riverscarab
    First I just wanted to say that this is my first time posting and that this is a great site. I have a 22 scarab 454 W/ a bravo one drive. The boat has problems planning any time there's more than 3 people onboard. It's running a 14 1/2 X 25 Mirage prop and the rpms max out at 4200 or 60mph. I was wondering if this is the best prop for the boat and what other things could I do to help it plane.
    Thanks for your help!!

No Limits !
    Try dropping to a 23" Mirage Plus prop. I'm running a 502 in a 23'Wellcraft Excalibur and had to cut down a 25" to get to around 4900 which just jumped up to 5100 with the installation of a Vortech Maxiflow kit.

riverscarab
    Thanks No Limit I'll have to give it a try.

badscarab
    Something sounds fishy. I also have a 22ft Scarab with a 7.4 MPI. I am spinning a 25 pitch Mirage Plus at 4700 rpm at 71 mph GPS. My boat also comes out of the hole slow if I have 4 people on board, but I think that is pretty normal for this size boat.

25 Outlaw 502
    Riverscarab, your rpm is way, way, to low. I am experiencing a similar problem on a brand new boat and right now the service deptartment says the motor is fine and we are going to check the drive to make sure it is the proper ratio. Could be 1.36 vice 1.5. Look in the offshore boats forum in an area titled looking for speed or something like that. Anyway it is one of the ones near the top. Havasu Hangin gave me a link to a speed calculator and you can try 1.36 ratio in the calculator to see if that may be part of your problem. If the boat isn't new check the little stuff such as plugs, and especially the timing. If it is not advancing right you will loose lots. If that doesn't help make sure the fuel pressure is good and change your filter and seperator out. Your boat should definently get more than 60. I have a buddy with 21 baja with 454 runs 69 on gps with 25 pitch mirage 3 blade. Also if you have an electric engine hatch open just about 6 inches while at WOT and you will pick up a little more speed. With the fresh air I gain about a 100 RPM. Pretty cool.
    Larry

riverscarab
    Thanks guys for the Info. Im going to try some of it and see what happens.