Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Banks Six-Gun

Outnumbered
    Originally posted by Mod VP
    My main question with all of these systems is how long you can actaully use the power without melting your motor.Will I be able to use them pulling Chiraco Summit,or would I have to back out of the power half way up the grade....
    Read the article. It should answer your question.
    OL

STV_Keith
    You need a pyrometer gauge to measure the Exhaust Gas Temperature. This reading tells you where you are heat wise...and that's the key to a turbo diesel.
    Unlike gas vehicles with turbos, the extra boost/airflow in a diesel cools the exhaust gas temps down.

Outnumbered
    Originally posted by STV_Keith
    You need a pyrometer gauge to measure the Exhaust Gas Temperature. This reading tells you where you are heat wise...and that's the key to a turbo diesel.
    Unlike gas vehicles with turbos, the extra boost/airflow in a diesel cools the exhaust gas temps down.
    Yes, but the Banks 6-gun--like the Edge Attitude for D-max--will de-fuel the motor before EGTs get too high. You gotta read the article it explains it all in detail.
    STV, what is taking Edge so long to get the Dodge Attitude system out???
    OL

CA Stu
    Originally posted by bigq
    whats the wastegate actuator do?
    Allows the wastegate to open to vent excess boost out of your intake into the atmosphere.
    If you're ever woodin' the pedal and you let off suddenly, you hear a "BOOSH!" (technical term) and that's your wastegate opening.
    A real easy way to get more power out of any turbo'ed engine is to drill a hole in the wastegate actuator tube. Matter of fact, the Stinger Plus kit I got from Banks (I did my own install, it's freakin' simple) has a drill bit in it to drill into the wastegate actuator tube, and a tap to tap the end of the tube out, and a restrictor jet to screw into the end of the tube.
    This holds the wastegate closed longer and forces more boost into your motor.
    If you go ape shit and make your wastegate actuator tube look like Swiss cheese, you'll blow up your motor, but you'll be one boost making MoFo in the meantime!!
    Cheers
    CA Stu
    PS If anyone gets the kit and needs a super high dollar drill bit and tap to tap and drill out the exhaust manifold for the pyrometer, ping me and I'll be glad to help out. I bought the bit and tap and used them for this one job, they're gathering dust in my toolbox now

Outnumbered
    Originally posted by CA Stu
    Allows the wastegate to open to vent excess boost out of your intake into the atmosphere.
    If you're ever woodin' the pedal and you let off suddenly, you hear a "BOOSH!" (technical term) and that's your wastegate opening.
    A real easy way to get more power out of any turbo'ed engine is to drill a hole in the wastegate actuator tube. Matter of fact, the Stinger Plus kit I got from Banks (I did my own install, it's freakin' simple) has a drill bit in it to drill into the wastegate actuator tube, and a tap to tap the end of the tube out, and a restrictor jet to screw into the end of the tube.
    This holds the wastegate closed longer and forces more boost into your motor.
    If you go ape shit and make your wastegate actuator tube look like Swiss cheese, you'll blow up your motor, but you'll be one boost making MoFo in the meantime!!
    Cheers
    CA Stu
    PS If anyone gets the kit and needs a super high dollar drill bit and tap to tap and drill out the exhaust manifold for the pyrometer, ping me and I'll be glad to help out. I bought the bit and tap and used them for this one job, they're gathering dust in my toolbox now
    I was thinking of doing a self-install but was worried about getting metal shavings in the turbo from the sensor hole. How do you keep the metal shaving out of the system?
    OL

CA Stu
    Has a shop vac running while I was drilling, and my turbo was sitting on my work bench so I could drill out the actuator tube.
    The kit comes with a new turbo gasket, but mine didn't need it. The original looked fine.
    I bolted on the Monster Exhaust, yanked the turbo, modded the w.a. tube(drilled the middle and tapped the end), drilled and tapped the exhaust manifold for the pyrometer, and did all the wiring all in about half a day.
    The instructions in the kit are well written and very comprehensive.
    Take your time, it's really simple. If you're a wrench turnin' type, I'd say it's easier than doing a head gasket, harder than doing a brake job....
    CA Stu

FastTimmy
    I don't know if it is disclosed but the banks six gun also mearures trany slip it will also pull fuel if it slips, this is in addition to the EGT limit. Also I can say that wile expensive banks will go to bat for you with any dealer that tries to void your warranty. they have a crew of four people (that was in 2002) that there only job was to deal with factory warranty issues. they take it very serious when a dealer ties to void a waranty..
    Timmy

STV_Keith
    Originally posted by FastTimmy
    Also I can say that wile expensive banks will go to bat for you with any dealer that tries to void your warranty. they have a crew of four people (that was in 2002) that there only job was to deal with factory warranty issues. they take it very serious when a dealer ties to void a waranty..
    Timmy
    I wouldn't count on that. There are MANY documented cases where Banks did nothing when the dealer decided not to help the customer. Here is one such horror story: http://www.turbodieselregister.com/f...threadid=71199
    Anything you do to add power that they can detect WILL void your warranty. Now, if a part or parts can be taken off and not leave signs behind that they were there...you're find. On these 03-04 Dodge Rams, anything over 350rwhp will require the use of a larger than stock turbo, which is pretty obvious.

Outnumbered
    Keith, any word on the Edge Attitude for the CTD? I really want that system but I am wondering if it will EVER be out.
    Thanks,
    OL

STV_Keith
    We work very closely with Edge and have not received a prototype yet. Once we get one, it will likely still be over a month until they hit the streets.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12