Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Merc 496 Mags smoking

shockwaveharry
    I had the 496 HO with the BTP as well. At 5 hours I installed a set of lightning headers and saw an immediate improvement. No more sooty transom. I also picked up 4 or 5 mph on the ol' GPS. However, with the exhaust in place, I saw no improvement with a change in flame arrestors.

brewski
    Shockwaveharry, I have the 496HO wondering how well the lightning headers installed. I've installed headers on 454,s they said just bolt on, that was bull#$&^. Did you have to remap your ecm? Sounds like good HP gain.

shockwaveharry
    I installed a used set of Lightnings because at that time the engine was so new no one had anything available yet. Installation was straight forward, I modified the mounting locations of the oil filter, ECM mount and shift linkage mount (those things would be included with an exhaust system by now I would imagine). I made several power runs after installation checking the plugs for any signs of detonation. No need for ECM reprograming (a moot point since no one programs the Motorola computers yet that I know of, certainly not last year). The results were well worth the work.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12