Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 496HO Just stoped working?

mmered8299
    Been boating all day and then on they way back to the Marina we hit a wake and the motor quit! ****ed with it for hours and narrowed it down to no fuel. There is gas in the tank and I removed the fuel pump and tested it. It runs. I think its not getting any power? Dam EFIs! Too many wires! The motor has only 16hrs on it. Its my first EFI. I was afraid of this when I deciding to buy this type of motor. Checked all the fuses. The only think I can think, is the wake jolted some wire loose? At lease its under Warranty. I just don't like not knowing!

Havasu Hangin'
    There have been a few posts on the 496...I think it's the crank trigger that was giving people problems. Replaced under warranty.

SBullet
    I also have a 496ho and have 7 hrs on the motor and this weekend out in Havasu the motor lost power on me when I was going 50MPH! The motor start's but when I get going it sputters and loses power so I have to back off the throttle!!! Took it to the shop yesterday and they said it might be the computer! Let me know what they say about your motor?
    SBullet

mmered8299
    F'n Fuse! To the fuel pump...Cant F'n believe it! The Mech. did know why it poped, but said the wire to the fuel pump seemed a bit small.

TCHB
    My engine stopped becuase of loose battery cables. Their must be sensor somewhere.

There's only one reason fuses pop... too much amperage passing through them.
    Possible causes, bad ground somewhere, bad pump, pinched wire causing resistance or current leakage to short, wrong fuse size (unlikely).
    If you don't nail the cause it will probably happen again.

SBullet
    I finally heared back from my Mechanic! He told me there was a loose ground wire to the fuel Injection and fuel valve needed to be ajusted!

Thunderbutt
    That is what makes me nervious about buying a outdrive type set up, you can't work on them with all of the new technology, and it hasn't been around long enough to be perfected.

dossangers
    Im ready to repower my 24' i have a 330 hp mercruiser carberated its 17 years old used all the time been all over mead and mojave probaly has 3000 hrs on it the only thing ive worn out is the outdrive! i think after hearing all the problems with efi ill stick to carb motors just go bigger cubes i have a 496 in my truck its never ever gave me any problems go figure?

jet496
    Over 200 hrs on my 496HO, 21 ft Ultra Stealth, without any problems, knock on wood. Runs just as sweet as my last Ultra with a 454. Loose wires are a common problems with brand new boats. I check mine almost obsessivly the first 50 hrs.
    Good luck.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast