Page 1 of 16 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Best way to power a big amp boat stereo?

CA Stu
    What is the best way to make sure that after an all day jam sesh at Sandbar you can still fire up your boat and drive it on back home?
    Mass batteries? (What type?)
    Generator? (How do you plumb and wire one?)
    Thanks
    CA Stu
    (I posted this in the Audio / Visual forum, but I don't think that forum gets much traffic...)

HighRoller
    There's a thread in there about chargers like MBrown2 uses. I still am trying to get the skinny on them but I belive they are like a battery pack that powers the stereo while you're sitting and when you fire up the engine the charging system rechrges it. If you're a real baller like him with a 14000watt stereo you also have a generator!

PerfectionDtail
    Just get the Honda EU2000 generator and I have heard good things about SVR batteries by westco (much better than bluetops).

boatslayer
    get a battery switch and use two batteries

Havasu Hangin'
    A long extension cord.

CA Stu
    Originally posted by boatslayer
    get a battery switch and use two batteries
    That's pretty obvious, man.
    I mean POWER when that just won't cut it.
    Also, isn't draining a battery all the way to stone dead bad for the battery?
    Thanks
    CA Stu

boatslayer
    ok sorry dude

Hallett19
    just run scads of batteries, talk to the frog man. The setup he had in his Ultra (now clownpunchers) was a killer combo. Trojan deep cycle golf cart batteries, 4 6 volt batteries wired in sequence. That setup would push his BIG DOG stereo all day with no qualms and the motor still had its 2 trojan deep cycle 12 volts to start the motor.

Havasu Hangin'
    If you do some math...like what kind of amps (how efficient) and how loud you normally play it (how many watts)...you'll be able to get pretty close on the current draw.
    Then you can estimate how much reserve (batteries) you'll need to last as long as you think you'll play it. Getting a generator will only limit you to the gas on board (and your eardrums).
    Originally posted by CA Stu
    Also, isn't draining a battery all the way to stone dead bad for the battery?
    I'd avoid it (if possible)...even deep cycles. Trolling motors are about the only battery that are made to abuse like that.

CA Stu
    Originally posted by Hallett19
    just run scads of batteries, talk to the frog man. The setup he had in his Ultra (now clownpunchers) was a killer combo. Trojan deep cycle golf cart batteries, 4 6 volt batteries wired in sequence. That setup would push his BIG DOG stereo all day with no qualms and the motor still had its 2 trojan deep cycle 12 volts to start the motor.
    Good Jesus! What did all those batteries weigh, about 500 pounds?
    I was kinda hoping there was a way to mount a generator, plumb it right into the boat's gas tank, and wire it for 12 V power.. It would be awesome if there was a clean "plug and play" unit like that... Just thinkin'
    Thanks
    CA Stu

Page 1 of 16 1234511 ... LastLast