Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dolly trailer advise needed!

CircleJerk
    Has anyone converted a typical trailer to a narrow dolly style? I know Billy B has one that uses speed rated golf cart tires and tows it on the Hwy. Billy, do you have some removable hull guides to center it when leaving the water? Can the axles be reused and just shortened? I need one of these to get two boats into the narrow shop at one time. Please don't tell me to widen the shop cause legally I can't. Help........I dont suppose anyone has a dolly that would trade for a V&M or Competitive brand? JeRk

UBFJ #454
    Why not just build yourself a shop dolly?

126driver
    CJ, you would be better off selling that trailer and buying a dolly. I had mine made years ago, used the springs and axles off my old trailer, and by the time everything was said and done, for $300 more I could have bought one from a manufacturer, not to mention the time I took to prime and paint the dolly. Check out dragboats.com - every once in while I see one listed there for sale.

CircleJerk
    Thanks Scott and that's not the answer I was hoping for!

CircleJerk
    Originally posted by BEAR_454PE
    Why not just build yourself a shop dolly?
    Well, I would like to just hook up to the boat while on the trailer and head to the races and then back the other truck to the wifes boat and pull it out.....we could kind of have a race to see who was ready first! And, maybe the future could find me with an enclosed that I could leave elsewhere. I do have a shop dolly that the third boat is on to save room, but you see the problem.

V-DRIVE VIDEO
    Originally posted by CircleJerk
    Has anyone converted a typical trailer to a narrow dolly style? I know Billy B has one that uses speed rated golf cart tires and tows it on the Hwy. Billy, do you have some removable hull guides to center it when leaving the water? Can the axles be reused and just shortened? I need one of these to get two boats into the narrow shop at one time. Please don't tell me to widen the shop cause legally I can't. Help........I dont suppose anyone has a dolly that would trade for a V&M or Competitive brand? JeRk
    CJ,
    Billy's out at the Daytona 500 while the rest of us with jobs have to work.
    He has no removeable centering devise...no need for it. If its not on the trailer straight you just grab the turn buckles and yank it!
    The axles can be re-used and resized.
    With the smaller diameter tires your wheel speed increases. Billy packs the bearings often and tows between 55 and 65 for safe keeping.
    I still haven't seen your last movie. Where do I send the $$$
    Jerry
    Jimmy D rules!

cruser
    What kind of boat is the trailer for? My brother, who lives in Vancouver Wa, has a dolly trailer for a Placecraft that needs to be converted to a road trailer. Send me an email or PM if this will work.
    cruzer

CircleJerk
    Flatbottom! Lets trade. I can modify pretty well.....

Snowboat
    You might consider what I use. Some trailers have an axle assembly that can be unbolted from the frame. Cut it off if you have to. Buy two 3,500# axles, length to be determined, and special ordered. Weld the hangers to the bottom of some tubing that will have to be properly placed to be the correct width, for the axles you choose. Use load range D 12" tires and wheels. Sometimes you may need spacer blocks, under the perches, for clearance. The whole arrangement costs $600.00. Then you take the left over tires, rims and axles and build a utility trailer, or sell 'em. They will run at 80 mph because of the bearings in the 3,500# axle, fit in the trailer, or give you more room in the garage.

Moneypitt
    In case you didn't see Ken (Snowboat) at Red Rock last year, let me say Ken knows trailers!!! He towed in from Wy. with his fifth wheel AND the blown beiser behind his Ford. He posted pictures last summer as he was leaving the great wide open ranges of Wy. for the river, and that rig was a long one..... As he said, you can do the mods,(bolt ons) and still maintain the ability to put the road wheels back on, thats what we did with the PS89 trailer...His set up is cool. BTW Ken, did you put that motor in "funny" yet.. Wendy will really like the way she'll be able to turn on a dime, while holding it wide open!!!...Moneypitt (2 t s) here).....Ray

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast