Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Diveshaft Question

HawaiianBoat
    I own a 78 Hawaiian with a 360 AMC/Panther Jet. I want to replace my driveshaft and thought about doing it myself but don't really know what im doing. Can anyone recommend a private individual or a boat shop in or near Riverside,CA that replaces driveshafts.
    Thanks!

screamdreambrad
    tom papp racing is in norco,ca he can fix you up. (909)734-4606

1Bahnerjet
    Is there a DriveShaft or just a U-Joint?
    Not that it matters, either way the Motor or the Pump will have to move a few inches (slip on yoke)

HawaiianBoat
    Good question. I know I have U-Joints and I thought that was part of the driveshaft. When I first bought this boat the ex owner told me I would need to eventually need to replace the U-Joints and I thought he said driveshaft also. Are the U-Joints not connected to a driveshaft? This is my first boat so maybe someone can explain U-Joints/ Driveshafts for me?
    Thanks!

Your "driveshaft", or driveline looks like this. It is little more than 2 u-joints connected directly together. One end bolts to the crankshaft and the other is splined and slips over the pumpshaft. Also referred to as an "h-bar" by some.
    http://www.cpperformance.com/images/500/500-0845.jpg
    The u-joints generally are one of two sizes, Spicer 1310 and the larger Spicer 1350.
    Why did the previous owner say/think they would need to be replaced?

Heatseeker
    Oldsquirt, how can you tell the difference between the 1310 and the 1350(cap diameter?)? I'm hoping I have the larger 1350!
    I've never even considered the driveshaft on my set-up :eek!: !!! The u-joints felt good, so I bolted it up.

HawaiianBoat
    OldSquirt, the previous owner said it needed to be replaced because it wasn't getting the performance it used to. He said it is about 1000 RPM lower than it had been. He said he went through everything, timining, jet, etc. and determined it was the driveshaft.
    Thanks

John, the 1310 is a 1/2 ton u-joint and measures 3 3/16" across with 1 1/16" caps. The 1350 is a 1 ton u-joint and measures 3 5/8" across with 1 3/16" caps.
    Hawaiian, I highly doubt that a problem with your driveshaft would cause a 1000 rpm drop. Normally the joints tend to loosen up not tighten up.
    Time to have everything checked out again.

Heatseeker
    Thanks Craig. Just what I was looking for .
    And ditto: Hawaiianboat's drive shaft probably isn't the problem.

Jet City
    Originally posted by HawaiianBoat
    OldSquirt, the previous owner said it needed to be replaced because it wasn't getting the performance it used to. He said it is about 1000 RPM lower than it had been. He said he went through everything, timining, jet, etc. and determined it was the driveshaft.
    Thanks
    The first thing I would do is call Steve at Panther and order a manual, for about $20. you will have a better understanding, drawings and part numbers to work from, these pumps are very easy to work on if your reasonably inclined. Next, I wouldn't assume the previous owner properly diagnosed the reason for the lacking RPM's, in fact since the crankshaft CL to impellor CL is only 1-3 degrees (page 1-5 in manual), I would be very surprised if this was your problem. I would be inclined to re-check all the usual suspects myself such as compression, timing (initial and more importantly full advance) jetting. The other thing to check on the Panther is the DU bushing, this is the bronze bushing that is all that supports the outboard end of the impellor, it needs constant greasing. By the way, what is your current RPM at WOT?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast