Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What;s it worth?

Rich, No it's still the Advantage, It's just kinda weird calling a Rogers hull an Advantage.

Mike,
    thought maybe you, along with a bunch of others it seems, came across a Rogers and picked it up.
    Shouldn't feel too wierd about calling it an Advantage, cause it's not a Rogers. Same mold for sure, but that's where the similarity ends. Nothing wrong with the Advantage version, well built, and a great boat. It just wasn't built the same as Roger did 'em.
    Almost broke my heart when I helped load those 18 bubble molds on a trailer when Harry bought them. Beautiful boat. I just couldn't understand how he could sell the bubble deck 18 and keep the flat deck.
    Oh, just one difference between the two versions, Roger would never install an E pump in that boat. That was done at Advantage to give the little 18 a bit more room inside, and to bring the cost down. I think that with the E the engine set back about 3 inches further than with the stock JG set up. Did a bunch of them with SBCs too, another inch or so I guess. Buy the time I got over to Advantage, (17 years ago. christ, I'm getting old) the E pump thing was about dead there. We went back to standerd set ups. Hell, by then, the 18 was just about dead too, on to bigger boats.
    You ever get that 18 of yours to stop porpoising?

Well damn! Good thing you told me BEFORE the new interior!
    I didn't know there were those differences between the 2. I guess I'll just have to keep it and look for something to hotrod.
    What I wound up doing to bring it around was install a Place diverter (dropped the thrust line a little over an inch), adjust the ride plate up, and replace the steering from the wheel to the nozzle. I'm doing a little engine work for some extra hp, too. It handles great, but it has more V than the Tahiti had, and I miss that handling a little.
    I don't know why, but I have an overwhelming urge to get a Hondo picklefork.......

Originally posted by roostwear
    Well damn! Good thing you told me BEFORE the new interior!
    I didn't know there were those differences between the 2.
    ????????
    I didn't mean anything by it. It's just comparing apples and oranges. There's a huge following of Advantage fans that'd tell you they like that version better than what Roger built. That's what makes the world go round.
    Personally, I'd take the ride of either one of 'em compared to the fide of my flat.

Originally posted by old rigger
    ????????
    I didn't mean anything by it. It's just comparing apples and oranges. There's a huge following of Advantage fans that'd tell you they like that version better than what Roger built. That's what makes the world go round.
    Personally, I'd take the ride of either one of 'em compared to the fide of my flat.
    Just ****in with ya Rich. This boat is what it is.... an open bow family boat with an E pump. I know a few people that want it (with the 80s gel, no less!) just to cruise in. I can't complain about it at all, and with the new interior, I'll HAVE to keep it for a while. I have an itch to build a hotrod, but I'm out of room.
    Then again, I can adapt that twin turbo setup............

flat broke
    Mike,
    I don't think the turbo setup would be the hot ticket to pursue this close to the season. Unless you have a good deal of free time after work and the ability to run some errands on weekdays to get some fabricating done, you might be cutting a clean turbo install short on time. Because the ducting was made for the head angles of a 454, you'll have to have new ducting done up which will take time and $$. The turbo setup definitely provides a nice rush under acceleration, but it comes at the expense of a good amount of work and cost, coupled with a more "complicated" look in the engine compartment area which would raise other issues.
    For the cost of buying the turbos and all the inciendetals, you could probably pick up some lightnings and do some other minor changes which would help your speed out a little. Unless the system you are looking at has adjustable waste gates, you're going to have a bit of a tough time controling boost which will be needed with what is probably a 9:1 minimum on your current setup.
    Bottom line (and I learned this the ol fashioned way) the turbos can kick ass. But to exploit them to their fullest, you need to build the motor with their application in mind. Just slapping em on will be fun, and may even last for a while, but in the end will probably leave you wishing you had chose a different route.
    Chris

Chris, You're right about making major changes with the season so close. I'll just be slow again this summer. With a closed engine and logs, there's only so much I can do to increase power.
    I think I'll still pick up the twin turbo setup and put it on the shelf, though. I'll find my Hondo eventually, and with the new noise laws, I'd rather go turbo.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12