Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chevy/OMC Tech

likwidsukr
    Hello guys My OMC 120 2.5 chevy went kaput! It is a 1976 model,the engine needs 1000.00 dollars machine shop work. Too much money. What other engine choices do I have. Does anyone have a shortblock or a whole engine that will fit?
    Please I need to fix on a budget...
    STEVE

Infomaniac
    What exactly is wrong with it?
    I am probably not going to be any help on a suggested replacement.

likwidsukr
    Cracked exhaust manifold 120.00 used 400.00 new. Block needs cleaned and magnafluxed, crank has to be turned not polished,needs pistons ,needs bored .030 min. Gosh it goes on.......But thank you info
    STEVE

1979tarva
    possibly a 4.3 chevy out of an s-10 2.8 3.1 3.8 maybe depending on what you get it out of. the 3.8 is tricky because there is a big and small bellhousing for that block. if its the small one like on the 2.8 s-10 you may beable to fit a northstar motor in it with a little fab work to your engine adaptor.

likwidsukr
    Thanks for the replies.

powerplay230
    Ok,
    Just the rookie again here and I need one clarification before going much further.....But exhaust manifold on that motor is it like typical marine app's??- where does water combines with exhaust somewhere in the riser?
    If it is the same as a 1978 International Harvester (Ok getting carried away) then it might be fine after resurfacing or checking to see if square. Otherwise if he recommends a used manifold- RUN... Best bet might be the 2.8 or later version what was it 3.1 or??
    Good luck and give very little weight to my opinion,
    Rick

likwidsukr
    Originally posted by powerplay230
    Ok,
    Just the rookie again here and I need one clarification before going much further.....But exhaust manifold on that motor is it like typical marine app's??- where does water combines with exhaust somewhere in the riser?
    If it is the same as a 1978 International Harvester (Ok getting carried away) then it might be fine after resurfacing or checking to see if square. Otherwise if he recommends a used manifold- RUN... Best bet might be the 2.8 or later version what was it 3.1 or??
    Good luck and give very little weight to my opinion,
    Rick
    You are a rookie and apparently I am dumb. I do not know what you are saying. Am I missing something or are you schoolin me?
    STEVE

toad,
    there was a guy over on the banderlog board last year that posted some pics of a little tahiti I/O that he put a 4.3 in. From what the others said, it hauled ass. If I remember right he was running drystacks on it too. Maybe someone over there will remember who he was and find the pics for you now that everything has been dumped on that site.
    I wish I lived closer to you, that worn out, rusted, beat up and tired chevyII you have is just what I'm looking for for another project. :wink:
    Don't forget that if you decide to rebuild that thing, don't let some fast talking parts guy sell you 'hard to find' marine parts for that engine. All the insides ('cept crank and cam) are the same as the very common late model, post 1962, 235 chevy six cylinders.

victorfb
    i might actually have alot of what you need. about 7 years ago dad (79 years old) took apart the 120 mercruiser that was in the old fishing boat and baught an omc motor and outdrive from an auction. he had the motor machine work done but never put it together, so the crank and block got alot of surface rust. its kinda scattered around the shop and such, but if you post some pics of what you need (manifolds and such) ill take a look around and see what i can come up with. the fishing boat is no longer with us so i have no need for the stuff. and if someone here can use it thats awsome. was actually thinking of finding all the parts, but i havnt had the drive to do so. lol let me know if you want to try and get it back together, or just replace it with a differant motor.

powerplay230
    not that lost just poor humor.... Does water pass anywhere through the exhausr manifolds kind of like a mercruiser I/O? If so do not re use someone else's manifold just living on borrowed time. The thing I was asking about engine compatibility, does anyone else use the 2.5 chevy in a marine application- if so that may give you more options in rebuilding or replacing your engine. Sorry wasn't trying to take you to school don't think you are dumb and I'm not that much of a rookie just think they are other options you may be overlooking. If OMC mechanics are like mercruiser certified mechanics the majority will only put an OMC part back on it regardless of cost effectivness.
    Good Luck regardless,
    Rick
    ps. and I could have skipped the I.H. line if I only read better through my beer goggles.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast