Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Chevy/OMC Tech

likwidsukr
    Originally posted by old rigger
    toad,
    there was a guy over on the banderlog board last year that posted some pics of a little tahiti I/O that he put a 4.3 in. From what the others said, it hauled ass. If I remember right he was running drystacks on it too. Maybe someone over there will remember who he was and find the pics for you now that everything has been dumped on that site.
    I wish I lived closer to you, that worn out, rusted, beat up and tired chevyII you have is just what I'm looking for for another project. :wink:
    Don't forget that if you decide to rebuild that thing, don't let some fast talking parts guy sell you 'hard to find' marine parts for that engine. All the insides ('cept crank and cam) are the same as the very common late model, post 1962, 235 chevy six cylinders.
    Thanks Rich It is funny.I work for Carquest Auto Parts LOL I am the fast talking parts guy...sortof
    If I do not use I will give it to you!! All you have to do is pay the freight. I get great deals on freight!! I just got a quote from Bakerfield Ca to here @ 500 lbs (bbc 454) it was 203.00 I am sure the 153 will be cheaper!! I also have a rebuild kit for the 2.5 153 minus pistons.....
    I posted on the new banderlog,with very few responses:frown: I'll be in touch!!!
    STEVE
    Ok,
    Just the rookie again here and I need one clarification before going much further.....But exhaust manifold on that motor is it like typical marine app's??- where does water combines with exhaust somewhere in the riser?
    If it is the same as a 1978 International Harvester (Ok getting carried away) then it might be fine after resurfacing or checking to see if square. Otherwise if he recommends a used manifold- RUN... Best bet might be the 2.8 or later version what was it 3.1 or??
    Good luck and give very little weight to my opinion
    not that lost just poor humor.... Does water pass anywhere through the exhausr manifolds kind of like a mercruiser I/O? If so do not re use someone else's manifold just living on borrowed time. The thing I was asking about engine compatibility, does anyone else use the 2.5 chevy in a marine application- if so that may give you more options in rebuilding or replacing your engine. Sorry wasn't trying to take you to school don't think you are dumb and I'm not that much of a rookie just think they are other options you may be overlooking. If OMC mechanics are like mercruiser certified mechanics the majority will only put an OMC part back on it regardless of cost effectivness.
    Good Luck regardless,
    Rick
    RICK
    I just reread my post. It seemed like when rereading it I came off as an asshole. There are people here that know me and I am just the opposite and I am sorry if I came off that way!! I do know that you are not a (rookie) I have read most of your posts!! You are corect the water is mixed in the risers, I think not real sure, as I am the real (rookie) I will post some pics for sure as soon as I can!!.......Thank You BTW..STEVE

1979tarva
    from what i remember the mercruiser 3.0 motors semed to me like they were a combination of parts from gm and chrysler.
    the block is an old 2.5 iron duke design from a car all the electronics are gm but the cyl. head is from a 4 cyl jeep motor

likwidsukr
    Originally posted by 1979tarva
    from what i remember the mercruiser 3.0 motors semed to me like they were a combination of parts from gm and chrysler.
    the block is an old 2.5 iron duke design from a car all the electronics are gm but the cyl. head is from a 4 cyl jeep motor Thanks that is a new one on me!!

wsm9808
    I dont think the 2.5 pont. and 2.5 jeep(AMC) had any parts that interchange, but it is sort of confusing.........Jeep used the pontiac 2.5 for several years and then swithed to the 2.5 AMC engine later and they do look very simular, and the 2.5 mercruiser also looks simular, but the Merc engine is based on the old 153 that was the base engine in the 60s Chey II.
    Listed in parts books as....
    Chevy = 153ci
    Pontiac = 151ci
    AMC =150ci
    I have seen several merc 120s on ebay over the years, but I personaly would not buy an engine from ebay.

likwidsukr
    Originally posted by wsm9808
    I dont think the 2.5 pont. and 2.5 jeep(AMC) had any parts that interchange, but it is sort of confusing.........Jeep used the pontiac 2.5 for several years and then swithed to the 2.5 AMC engine later and they do look very simular, and the 2.5 mercruiser also looks simular, but the Merc engine is based on the old 153 that was the base engine in the 60s Chey II.
    Listed in parts books as....
    Chevy = 153ci
    Pontiac = 151ci
    AMC =150ci
    I have seen several merc 120s on ebay over the years, but I personaly would not buy an engine from ebay.
    Exactly!!!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12