Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Somewhat of a dorky question

clownpuncher
    This is posted in gear heads too, but I think the traffic is a little slower over there.
    I have dual batteries and use a Perko switch. My question is - If I want to charge both batts at the same time, can I just put the selector switch to "both", hook the cables to just one battery and get the job done? Do I save any time doing it this way? I'm thinking it may not be the way to go if one battery is less discharged than the other. As always thanks in advance

HBjet
    I used to run duals the same way, and I thought they charged when it was turned to ALL or BOTH. I always ran the boat with both. I could run on either one, but I just left it on both. I'm just running one battery now.
    Good Question.
    HBjet

clownpuncher
    Thanks HB. I guess I should have added the fact that I want to charge my batteries using my external charger (I'm thinking they're pretty low after a few months of non-use). Going to Parker to do some work on it, minor stuff.

HBjet
    Then I would charge one battery at a time, I don't think a battery charger was ment to charge more then one at a time...
    HBjet

clownpuncher
    Makes sense to me. Otherwise I guess it would be called a "batteries charger" instead of "Battery" charger. Thanks again.

Drunk tank
    It'll work just fine. Just think oof it as two fishtankswith a pipe at the top connecting the two. You start filling up the first one (charge chooses the easiest route) once it's filled it cant hold anymore so it goes through the pipe to the other tank (cables). essentially it should take less time to do it, because if you do them one at a time you have to go out and switch them.

It will work fine but will just take longer to charge 2 vs 1 limited by the output capability of the charger (amphours). To avoid having them go dead over the winter you should invest in a battery tender or similar divice (NOT a trickle charger), to maintain the charge over winter. Dead batteries and the resulting sulfation is the biggest killer of batteries before their time.

clownpuncher
    Originally posted by Rexone
    It will work fine but will just take longer to charge 2 vs 1 limited by the output capability of the charger (amphours). To avoid having them go dead over the winter you should invest in a battery tender or similar divise (NOT a trickle charger), to maintain the charge over winter. Dead batteries and the resulting sulfation is the biggest killer of batteries before they're time.
    Thanks Rexone. I have the deep cycle batteries. Do these "tenders" work well on those too?
    BTW - you wouldn't happen to know where I could get one do ya?

mickeyfinn
    I'm sure he can fix you up......Just ask him to send you a catalog...

cheech
    deep cycle batt. don't like to be charging all the time from an alternator. if your motor has a charging system use 2 reg.batt with a high cca.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast