Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Max HP on a Volvo-Penta 280

mykidsdaddy
    $ = speed (the story of my life).
    Major understatement...I think it needs more $$$$$$$$$$$ LOL!
    I figured that out my self about the worm gear, thats why I didn't use the "raise/lower" sw as a trim :idea: I was figuring I would be erring on the safe side by NOT using it, and until I talked with someone that knew for sure I was content. I am waaay glad that I opted not to use it :rollside:
    I used to camp at Crazyhorse when at Havasu and when we opted for the River we stayed at (if I remember correctly) California River Lodge.
    I am suffering from CRS (can't remember s#@t), maybe it has something to do with the blood alcohol content at the time. It was serious sunup to sundown partying in those days ahhh the good ol days...now days I wait until at least 10:00AM before crackin' a cold one!!! :crossx:
    Where would you reccomend staying at Havasu?

Havasu Hangin'
    I used to camp at Crazyhorse when at Havasu and when we opted for the River we stayed at (if I remember correctly) California River Lodge.
    I am suffering from CRS (can't remember s#@t), maybe it has something to do with the blood alcohol content at the time. It was serious sunup to sundown partying in those days ahhh the good ol days...now days I wait until at least 10:00AM before crackin' a cold one!!! :crossx:
    Where would you reccomend staying at Havasu?
    Yeah...I used to camp at Crazyhorse many, many beers...err...years ago. Now I usually stay at tha Nautical so I can leave the boat in the water. When I used to trailer my boat at night, I used to stay at the Island Inn. It's not too bad of a hotel, decent boat parking, and you can walk to it from the channel.
    If you are cracking a cold one at 10AM, you're gonna have some catching up to do!

mykidsdaddy
    If you are cracking a cold one at 10AM, you're gonna have some catching up to do! I usually have to complete my caffein transfusion BEFORE I am capable of crackin' one :coffeycup
    Well, have a good week...thanks again for your input. I have to leave for Wendover in two hours and I need to pull the seats out of my boat to bring them with me. I have a guy there that is going to re-upholster them :rollside:
    They need it soooo bad. I have 400 miles to drive and make final decision on texture/trim, main color, welt color, design/no design. It isn't like you can change your mind after the sewing begins :220v:........need :coffeycup
    Seeya

Volvo actualy invented the outdrive, and I believe the Merc Bravo design was "borrowed" from the Volvo 280. Apples to oranges...you bet!
    Lots of great info here on the volvo outdrive, but havasu hangin is dead wrong about Volvo inventing the outdrive. Nothing could be further from the truth.
    Actually, the I/O was invented by, of all things, a frenchman in the late 1980s, but that version has very little to do with what we have today.
    The first modern outdrive, was invented in the 1930s by George Riley right here in L.A. Riley as some of you know was most famous for building speed equipment for model T's and Model A fords, among other stuff too. The most famous being the Riley overhead conversion for the A bone.
    His outdrive was very sucessful, very fast (for the day, remember we're talling 1930's so 65 MPH was very fast) and even had a manual trim set up on it. Mercruiser and Volvo both take credit for inventing the outdrive in the 1950s, and both of them infringed on Rileys patents, who by this time was too old and short on cash (compared to merc and Volvo) to fight it in court. He also built a 75 hp outboard engine in the 1950s when everyone else was excited about 40 hp. His outboard engine was a radial 5 cylinder.
    Here's a picture of his outdrive and also a very fast Ventor using his unit and a flathead V8 Ford for power. And a picture of one of his 'early' copiers from back in the 1930s.
    I have a few more pictures of this deal that I'll dig out later if anyone wants to see them.
    George Riley....Father of the modern outdrive!
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...n-t/Riley2.jpg
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...n-t/ventor.jpg
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...in-t/1a_12.jpg

rivercrazy
    HH = Internet Outdrive Jockey.....

Havasu Hangin'
    HH = Internet Outdrive Jockey.....
    Not really. Apparently, The outdrive was invented by a Frenchman in the late 1980's. What the hell do I know?

Not really. Apparently, The outdrive was invented by a Frenchman in the late 1980's. What the hell do I know?
    well, now you know that. lol
    I'm sure you know much more than I'll ever know on running I/Os, all I know is a bunch of worthless, antiquated, outdated, meaningless, boat history. I just thought you'd get a kick out of knowing just how far back the I/O really goes, not to mention the truth about just who invented, or perfected it. Doesn't amount to anything in the long run, Riley has long been forgotten by most.

Havasu Hangin'
    I'm sure you know much more than I'll ever know on running I/Os..
    Well, I don't know much, but I do try to share my mistakes with others...no need for two of us making them...lol.
    I actually was under the impression that Volvo had the first patent on the shiftable (cone/clutch) outdrive...but I could be wrong.

carreraboat
    Anyone have any numbers where to find old volvo used transom assemlys 280's etc?

Havasu Hangin'
    Anyone have any numbers where to find old volvo used transom assemlys 280's etc?
    There is a bunch around, but most of them are junk. Years of saltwater abuse will leave them pitted, etc.
    You just have to be patient and call around. Many of them are taken off to upgrade to newer units, so it's hit and miss. A couple years ago, I found mine at:
    Helmut's Marine
    619 Canal St.
    San Rafael, CA 94901
    (800) 326-5135
    He shipped me a great condition 290 transom shield w/rams. One of the best Volvo guys in So Cal is Grant at Sea & Ski Marine in Costa Mesa (949) 646-3009. He used to sell used Volvo stuff on Ebay, too.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast