Thread: Somewhat of a dorky question

clownpuncher
    I have dual batteries with a perko (sp?) switch. My question is, if I want to charge my batts at the same time, will it work if I put the switch on "both" and just hook my cables up to one battery? As always thanks in advance.

gnarley
    Yes you can, but they may not charge at the same rate and one may then end up boiling out. If you do this you should check them daily and when they are up you might consider putting a float charger on to keep them maintained without boiling out the electrolite. Make sure that if you need to fill them, that you fill with distilled water and you check the charge with a hydrometer.

clownpuncher
    Originally posted by gnarley
    Yes you can, but they may not charge at the same rate and one may then end up boiling out. If you do this you should check them daily and when they are up you might consider putting a float charger on to keep them maintained without boiling out the electrolite. Make sure that if you need to fill them, that you fill with distilled water and you check the charge with a hydrometer.
    I was kinda wondering about the charge rates and the chance of one battery boiling over. It won't be charging for days on end. This is gonna be just a few hours type of thing . Thanks for the info.

21rayson
    do your self a favor do not charge the batteries in the boat. what can happen is as they charge they omit hydrogen gases and can explode. repaired a boat that it happened to about 5 years ago luckly the guy wasn't hurt that bad blew him out of the boat into the garage door and burned the back of the boat. just a little storie that i might share. to keep every one safe.

clownpuncher
    Charging - good
    Explosion - bad
    Thanks for the tip

gnarley
    Originally posted by 21rayson
    do your self a favor do not charge the batteries in the boat. what can happen is as they charge they omit hydrogen gases and can explode.
    With proper ventilation that should not happen, it sounds like someone might have been a little careless like in leaving the battery charger on while moving connectors from the charger and making sparks. Hydrogen gas needs an ignition source to ignite, without a spark you won't have an explosion.
    Just make sure you wear eye protection, have sufficient ventilation and turn off the charger before you move any connections and you will be fine.
    It seems you always hear about some dumb-ass who left something open and forgot there was an ignition source nearby that made something blow up.

powerplay230
    Geesh my first reponse was pretty dense after I read it, hope this is a little better even though "out there" Was trying to figure out what would happen if hooked up one terminal on each battery. for instance hooked up ground on battery #1 then positive battery #2 but would have to disconnect the ground wire leaving battery switch for block.. But then again what's the point take the friggin things out like you should. No wonder I give myself a headache!
    Rick

HOSS
    Not really, in series or parallel the cells will egaul out. Hence both batteries will. Charge it in the boat. Why do work when not needed. remember that gas fumes are heavier than air and will settle. So don`t create a spark in fumes. Turn on a fan if your worried. And whatever you do don`t operate a cell phone near it.