Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Nitrous oxide

DORIGHT
    Can I ask for some help and info on Nitrous here or will I get Flamed?

HEAVYBOAT
    Using a Blower and NOS together? If so, I have some information to share on that topic.

Rock-it man
    I love NOS and have used it a lot in many motors,just do it right . In a boat with an out drive you MUST use a progressive controler or the drive is toast !!!!!!! and NEVER run it lean !!!! or the motor will be toast also !! Nos with a blower works great ,the power output will change based on the cubic inches and type of blower used . Just remember theres no room for mistakes with NOS so be carefull and get it right the first time. A 200 hp pill with a 1471 Blower got me to 137.1 mph in a Datona 26 and it was great . So go for it !!!!!! Alls fair in the quest for SPEED !!!!!!!
    ROCKIT MAN

superdave013
    ask away, that's what this place is for.
    Plus I wanna hear Heavyboats info.

DORIGHT
    Well Here's the Deal
    I bought this old Weind Tunnel ram with a Pro shot Fogger set up and it has Two big Spray bars inside the intake that run Down the middle of it for both carbs I have seen maney of these manifolds since buying this one with the spray bars but I dont know what they are rated at as the previous owner never used them he said, He only used the Fogger's.
    So any way kinda looking for some info about the spray bars if any one remembers that old type and How hard are those Selonoids to rebuild I see on the NOS online sight they offer rebuild kits for them and I kinda think I should over haul my selonoids prior to trying the stuff on my new engine.
    No Blower, I wish, Have to waite a little longer before I can get one at least until the house is done being built.
    Engine is a Hi comp .100 over BB chev mk6 Twin 1050 Dominator's
    Full roller .730-.730, Custom crank, and rods, Merlin heads Ross custom nitrous pistons. Ect.. Ect..

VD CRUISER
    Hey Heavyboat, You can share that nitrous with blower information with the rest of us. I'm looking for something to make up for the hot, humid air we have here in the summer.

HEAVYBOAT
    Originally posted by VD CRUISER
    Hey Heavyboat, You can share that nitrous with blower information with the rest of us. I'm looking for something to make up for the hot, humid air we have here in the summer.
    Unfortunately this is just an example I witnessed this summer with using nos with a roots blower, and not to much technical information to go along with it.
    I was a contemplating using nos on top of my GAS roots blower 2 summers ago. A buddy of mine who runs a 66 chevelle with a pump gas 632 and a fogger gave me John Plyipps phone number to discuss the idea.( by the way my buddy just got picked to be one of 50 competitors in the hotrods pump gas fastest street car in America drags in Memphis) Heres a pic of his pump gas 632. http://66283.150m.com/TheHookup/fogger09.gif
    And the event www.hotrod.com I knew all along that you Americans truly do love us Canadians :wink:
    So anyways, John is a nitrous guru down at Nitrous Express and he makes some trick spray bars for the blower carb adapters..(Above the blower) Actually he said just to send down the adapter your currently using and he would make one out of that.
    The norm for using nitrous is of course using nos jets with fuel jets. That set up (done properly) has people using a dedicated fuel system just for the nitrous. A small pump, reg and fuel cell. Now here’s the twist…. since your setting up a “system” already for the fuel aspect side of your new blower/nitrous system, who said you have to use gas?
    John’s suggestion was to run the NOS with ALKY in the spray bars instead of race gas, We all know how well the Alky cools the roots intake charge immensely in the blown alky combos, so why not steal that principal with us guys who burn gasoline on our roots.
    Myself being a chicken shit, and feeling a little intimidated with the possible tuning nightmare, I bailed on the idea. But by total coincidence a guy at my local racetrack did not. He also contacted John at nitrous express and went ahead with the plan.
    His combo was a GAS 572ci, 1071 Bds nonintercooled 1000+hp deal. He ran that car into the low nines in the 147MPH range, motor/blower. The first time I watched him spraying the nitrous/alky set up on top of his roots later that day, it ran slower.. poppin and bangin all the way down the track. I was probably on my 5 or 6 coors light by then sitting in the stands, so I would be lying if I said I wasn’t laughing at the tune up.
    But think about it, this is a different deal going on here. First off.. you jet/tune the motor/blower then you tune the nitrous system by doing the math for your nos/fuel ratio. That’s simple.. Now the kicker… how do you know what the ALKY and NOS will do to the intake charge. How much cooler will the charge be? .. Where the hell do you start with the tune? No manual or tech line to help you in this department.
    Next run. It comes out of the hole like a rocket, I can tell hes really movin and then at half-track BOOM!! I’m telling you, I thought that thing was gonna be in 5 million pieces by the sound of the bang. Down to the pits to find out he only blew his burst panel. Hes done for the day. But why is this guy smiling from ear to ear when his car is banging all the way down the track? I tell you why… he had a glimse of his 1\8 mile timeslip and it was unreal.
    The next time he ran his car, he must have figured it all out by then.He ran an amazing 8.1 at 181 MPH! And that was with only 300 hp nos jets.Just a reminder his blower only combo ran 147 mph. My math tells me it would take well over 500 hp to gain anywhere close to those stats
    So IMO with nitrous and roots blowers, if a guy can nail down a safe tune, bloody well hang on!!
    The car I’m talking about…..
    http://www.ghazaracing.com/

wsuwrhr
    http://www.***boat.com/image_center/...c-012f-med.jpg
    You need one of these to hold your bottle.
    Brian

DORIGHT
    I like that Bracket but it looks like thats a 10lb bottle I have three 20 lb bottles.
    This isnt going to be a little kids Toy NOS system,
    The Spray bars witch is the first Stage Im guessing here but I wanna say they are atleast possible to go to 400hp
    and I know Im under guessing it, as it has Pro shot Selonoids.
    The 2nd stage I know is a Pro shot Fogger worth 600hp
    I was planning a NOS Controller and a Fuel system That had at least four fuel pump's, all on Race gas Engine on Race gas as well not stingy but engine will be 13.5 to 1.

wsuwrhr
    Originally posted by DORIGHT
    I like that Bracket but it looks like thats a 10lb bottle I have three 20 lb bottles.
    This isnt going to be a little kids Toy NOS system,
    The Spray bars witch is the first Stage Im guessing here but I wanna say they are atleast possible to go to 400hp
    and I know Im under guessing it, as it has Pro shot Selonoids.
    The 2nd stage I know is a Pro shot Fogger worth 600hp
    I was planning a NOS Controller and a Fuel system That had at least four fuel pump's, all on Race gas Engine on Race gas as well not stingy but engine will be 13.5 to 1.
    Rings are available for all sizes of bottles. 2, 2-1/2, 5,10,15,20lb.
    Dual mounts are available for the 10/15/20lb bottles.
    Brian

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast