Thread: stainless or inconnel

victorfb
    i asked this on gear heads aswell, but since its going into a jet boat ill ask here too.
    i am going to be running some GM aluminium heads (#12363391) on a 502 BBC. the heads have stainless 2.25/1.88 valves. would it be wise to get some inconnel exh. valves? or will the stainless be fine?
    thanks... victor

Duane HTP
    The stainless are just fine if you're going normally aspirated. If you're going blown or turbo with much boost, go with inconnel.

Blown 472
    what is the difference between the two?

victorfb
    thanks Duane. yes the motor will have a single 850 demon vac sec. on top of an edelbrock air gap rpm performer intake. nothing too extravagant. i am also running a banderlog valve to help keep water off the valves and going into the cyclinder. i was hoping the stainless would be fine, and im happy now that i know i wont have to buy new valves. the heads were run a short time for testing purposes, so i will have to take em apart and clean a bit and relap the valves. would it also be wise to resurface them since they have been ran before? and if so, does anyone have a recomendation on a GOOD machine shop near north county san diego, to do the work? i havnt made many contacts out here yet.

victorfb
    figured this would be a good place to ask this aswell.
    are the stainless valves FULL stainless? i have a brand new set of factory GM BBC 2.19/1.88 with 3/8 stem valves, and when i put a magnet to the stems it sticks, but not to the head. does that mean its a two piece valve with the head being stainless? and does anyone know what they are worth?

Jetmugg
    The material differences are as follows: Stainless steels are iron-based alloys with additions of Chromium and Nickel (different amounts for different alloys).
    The inconel series of alloys are nickel-based materials with additions of iron, chromium, molybdenum, niobium, cobalt (depending on the actual alloy #). The inconel series are sometimes called "Super-Alloys" due to their excellent mechanical properties at elevated temperatures.
    SteveM.

screamdreambrad
    Originally posted by victorfb
    thanks Duane. yes the motor will have a single 850 demon vac sec. on top of an edelbrock air gap rpm performer intake. nothing too extravagant. i am also running a banderlog valve to help keep water off the valves and going into the cyclinder. i was hoping the stainless would be fine, and im happy now that i know i wont have to buy new valves. the heads were run a short time for testing purposes, so i will have to take em apart and clean a bit and relap the valves. would it also be wise to resurface them since they have been ran before? and if so, does anyone have a recomendation on a GOOD machine shop near north county san diego, to do the work? i havnt made many contacts out here yet. vic the best shop around as far as i'm concerned is dougans engine and machine, it's just up the 15 in mira loma exit limonite go east about two miles. on the right.(south side of the street.)(909)681-1961. brad

victorfb
    thanks brad. i will check them out. all i really need is a resurface on the heads as they were run for a short time then removed. i was told its allways a good idea to resureface aluminium heads when reusing them. myth, or truth?