Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ice Dams

Wet Dream
    Whats the best way to break up ice dams on the roof? There is over a foot of snow on the roof (8/12 pitch) and of course ice underneath it, so footing is going to be impossible. It's 22' up, but if I'm on the porch roof its about 10 feet up. I can't even get a hose up to the top to pump hot water down to it. Any ideas? Its beginning to leak into the house via the windows right beneath the dam.

HammerDown
    Bill the best way is to prevent it...I'm sure you have seen electric wire cord down along the first foot on a roof's edge.
    The only thing I can suggest is a Snow Rake...they have very long extention handles that help to pull the Snow off...thus the Warmth of the Sun can help the Ice underneath to melt.
    Back in my construction days...I've seen Ice Dams do some expensive damage.
    Good luck

canuck1
    Dynamite or C-4

Kachina26
    I'm certainly happy that I have no idea what you're talking about!

Scream
    Kachina 26, It snows where you live from time to time.

Kachina26
    Ya, last night I got a whopping 1". No signs of snow dams. The most I've seen in the 10 years I've been up here is maybe 4" and it was gone in 2 days. It sure is pretty though, I'm just glad it don't happen all the time. Hey I picked up the boat last Saturday, runs great! That sucker is HUGE behind the truck, especially after towing the little Carrera for all those years! Are you itching for yours yet?http://www.***boat.com/image_center/...up_002-med.jpg

Scream
    Oh yea. I hope the weather holds out for my trip this weekend. I'm pretty excited to get there and get the beast in the water. Louie, Missie and Shannon have been some of the greatest people to deal with on this boat. I finally got my "old" one sold this weekend, so that's one less problem I've got to worry about.
    I love it when a plan comes together. I'll give you an update after we get back. I've already invited some of the neighbors to come over and have a beer and watch a movie in her when I get her home, just because I can.

Wet Dream
    Originally posted by HammerDown
    Bill the best way is to prevent it...I'm sure you have seen electric wire cord down along the first foot on a roof's edge.
    The only thing I can suggest is a Snow Rake...they have very long extention handles that help to pull the Snow off...thus the Warmth of the Sun can help the Ice underneath to melt.
    Back in my construction days...I've seen Ice Dams do some expensive damage.
    Good luck
    I've seen the heater cords for roofs, but this is actually the first time this has happened in the 4 winters here, so the need never arose for it before, plus its getting a new roof this spring and I questioned the ability to remove and transfer it without ruining it. The new one might just get one. The only problem with the rake is that I have to stand on another roof to get to this point. Might be a little slick.

Wet Dream
    Originally posted by canuck1
    Dynamite or C-4
    I wonder what the insurance company's reaction would be?

Wet Dream
    Originally posted by Kachina26
    I'm certainly happy that I have no idea what you're talking about!
    These are ice dams. Attic space is warmer than the outside air and melts the snow on the roof. As it reaches the eaves (same temp as outside) the air cools the water and forms icicles. Water builds up behind the icicles and freezes causing an ice dam. There can be up to a couple hundred gallons of water suspended on your roof behind one of these dams. I broke through one in Tahoe and the resulting flood of water into the entry way was proof.
    In the second photo you can see the rise in the snow where the dam is.
    http://www.***boat.com/image_center/...c-651f-med.jpg
    http://www.***boat.com/image_center/...c-652f-med.jpg

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast