Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tough choice

cc322
    After visiting several boat builders @ the show my buddy has a tough choice to make . He happened to see Laser boats and fell in love with the 23 Apex. I must admit it is a really big boat, the interior is very big, and seems like a solid boat. The kicker is, it is a bigger boat, more interior room, and is priced below the Lavey. I know that the Lavey is a great boat but he uses his boat at havasu all the time , so his thinking is the apex is two feet longer and so much wider,translates into a smoother ride? here we go again any thoughts

rivercrazy
    Is the Laser measured on bottom running length basis or does that measurement include the swim step! The Lavey has a real 21 foot running bottom not including the integrated step (therefore about a 23 footer overall)
    Make sure you compare apples to apples is my recommendation

Dr. Eagle
    In order to remove the need for choice...buy a Bayliner...
    http://www.***boat.com/image_center/...C-218F-med.JPG

cc322
    True 23 running surface not counting bolted on swim steps

rivercrazy
    How deep is the V? I think the Lavey is 21 degrees.
    IMHO the Lavey is better quality overall, but if the V is similar the Laser would probably ride better. Is it a step bottom?

cc322
    No step in the bottom here are the specs
    Lavey
    length-22'8
    beam-88
    deadrise at transom-20 degrees
    approx weight with engine-3800lbs
    Laser
    length-22'10
    beam-100
    deadrise-19
    entry-35 degrees
    approx weight-3500
    Theese are with 496 engines, notice the weight the Lavey is about 300 lbs heavier if they are the same engines?
    I probed through the laser very good and it is a well thought out boat imo .

LASERRAY
    Originally posted by Dr. Eagle
    In order to remove the need for choice...buy a Bayliner...
    http://www.***boat.com/image_center/...C-218F-med.JPG Here, Here! I second that ole' Boy!

rivercrazy
    I've never ridden in the Laser but I have ridden and driven the Lavey. It has a great solid ride in the chop and feels bigger than it really is. The things I remember about it beyond great ride in chop was it felt really well put together. The only negative I can think of was that during hard cornering, it had the tendancy to walk side to side. Not big deal though but probably a result of an aggressive step design.
    That beam of 100 will probably let you sit 4 across the back bench seat versus 3 in an 88" incher

Dr. Eagle
    Originally posted by LASERRAY
    Here, Here! I second that ole' Boy!

K9Blitz
    I personally prefer the look of the laser. But I'm an Essex guy, so if I didn't step up and say that it would be like talkin' crap on my cousin or something like that.
    Regardless, I like the Laser.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast