Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Eaton Interceptor-AKA-Volvo Penta

sinkn-feeln
    Greetings everyone.
    I'm rebuilding a 1969 19' Closed bow, Aluminum Deep-V. It's a slightly modified SBF 302. Edelbrock aluminum wet exhaust, Ford factory aluminum 4bbl intake, Holley 650, low end torque cam, bored .030 over. I've taken it to the lake for it's first test run, and need to change the prop. It has a 14" 19 pitch 3 blade aluminum prop. I have extra RPM, so I figure I can go up to a 21 pitch, 4 blade. Problem is, I can't find any prop for this lower unit. It has a 1"-1 1/8" shaft, depending on measurement of shaft or spline. It has a 17 tooth spline.
    Any advice is greatly appreciated.
    [ September 04, 2003, 01:55 PM: Message edited by: sinkn-feeln ]

mirvin
    So the lower unit is called an "Eaton-Interceptor"? I think you might need to contact Havasu Hangin. He's a moderator here on ***boat. In fact he's probly researching your drive right now.
    Have you checked with Mercury? I know they make an adaptor that lets you use their props on Volvo Penta's.
    Good luck.

sinkn-feeln
    Eaton Interceptor is marked on the motor and lower unit. I'm assuming, and you know what assuming does, that this was probably private labeled for them by a main manufacturer. I have not checked with anybody except Michigan Propellor, but that is my next step in research. One of the other problems is that the exhaust doesn't exit through the prop, it exited through the adjustable steering fin above the prop.
    I'll try to contact Havasu Hangin shortly, but I'll give him time to glance at this first.
    Thanks

sinkn-feeln
    I've found out it is a Volvo-Penta lower unit. I think it's a Aquamatic model 250 or 270 or 280. I'm trying to do research on how to tell the difference. I think it's the short shaft version as well.

mirvin
    You know, when you described the exhuast above the fin I thought it was a vp. How wide is the exhaust port above the fin? I have a 290 and that sucker is like 8 inches wide, kinda forms it's own fat cavitation plate.
    Pictures would expidite your discovery......

sinkn-feeln
    The exhaust is not above the fin. It's actually in the adjustable virtical fin under the horizontal planing fin, The one you adjust to help steer straight at low speeds.
    I'm begining to think this is a model 250 or 270, based on the exhaust port you are asking about.
    Keep the good info coming, this is starting to make me feel better about my first boat.

mirvin
    Wow, that sounds old school. It's coming through the adjustable fin? On my 290 it comes out of the cavitation plate right above the adjustable fin.
    Pictures? I'll see if I can get some of my 290 up tomorrow.

sinkn-feeln
    I've located a few pictures off of Ebay, where people are selling lower units. These look just like mine. I've just got to figure out how to post them. I guess at worst I could email them.

mirvin
    Hey Sinkn, if you copy the address and paste it into the message box we can click on it and it will take us to the webpage.

sinkn-feeln
    Mirvin,
    I don't know what I was thinkn, why show pics of something that looks similsr, when I can take digital pics. I'll take some pics this weekend, and find a free server to post them on then I'll post the web address here.
    I am pretty sure now that I have a Volvo Penta model 280 short shaft, but it wouldn't hurt to have conformation.
    Anybody know what RPM range a Volvo 280 behind a small block Ford should run at on top end. I need to make sure I don't push the motor, and prop it right.
    Thanks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast