Thread: IS it worth $$ to fix amp?

sigepmock
    I have a Fosgate BD500.1 that quit working a while back, not sure why (may have something to do with welding on the truck?) but it makes a loud pop when it turns on and then nothing. Is it worth fixing? If so, who do you recomend and how much do you think? Or should I just man up and buy a new one?
    Thanks,
    Chris

ROZ
    PM Cheap Thrills, he'd know for sure.... Retail wise, an amp repair is at the least 130.00....

sigepmock
    Thanks Roz.
    Chris

sigepmock
    Never heard back from Cheap Thrills but these guys came recommended:
    K B Audio (http://www.kbaudio.com/)
    I talked with them and they seemed to know their stuff. Just sent in the Fosgate BD500.1 and they said it should be about $62 plus shipping. For $62 I figure it's worth a shot, I'll let you all know how it turns. If it works it's beter than buying a new one not to mention having to re-wire everything.
    Chris

ROZ
    Never heard back from Cheap Thrills but these guys came recommended:
    K B Audio (http://www.kbaudio.com/)
    I talked with them and they seemed to know their stuff. Just sent in the Fosgate BD500.1 and they said it should be about $62 plus shipping. For $62 I figure it's worth a shot, I'll let you all know how it turns. If it works it's beter than buying a new one not to mention having to re-wire everything.
    Chris
    Is that a diagnostic fee that gets rolled into a repair price ifyou decide to go through with it?

sigepmock
    I know this sounds strange but from what I understand, it's $62 Diagnose and fix any amp under 500 watts RMS, and $75 up to 1000 Watts RMS and so on. No charge if the amp is unrepairable and a $25 charge if there's nothing wrong with the amp and your a bonehead for sending them a perfectly good amp. The guy said it included parts but we'll see next week when they call me after looking at it. Kinda sounds too good to be true but I figured it was worth a shot. Here's what there web site says:
    [FONT=Arial Narrow]"We stock more than 200 part types, and complete most repairs in two or three business days. Our high volume gives us substantial buying power of amplifier parts, which means we are able to offer repairs with no additional parts charges on all but the largest amplifiers.
    There is a $25 charge for all amplifiers sent to us that do not require repair. If you are unsure whether your amplifier is functioning properly, please check our Knowledgebase & FAQs for troubleshooting steps. There is no fee (excluding shipping & handling) for diagnosing amps that are beyond repair."
    Chris

sigepmock
    A quick update :
    I got a call form KB Audio the other day, said the amp had a bad output circuit they replaced and total was $62 total. I got the amp back today and tested it and it works perfect. I did have to pay shipping to get it there but that's not a bad deal considering the cost of a new amp was close to $500 retail. So if anybody needs an amp repaired give these guys a shot.
    Chris

BOBALOO
    Dang that is a good price and quick responce on your amp. Cheap thrills has had my amp since the 15th of november and he hasn't responded to my pm's.
    I suppose he could be busy.