Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: How do you survive on Atkins

hey froggy im getting ready to start it .im doing a river trip next weekend so im going to wait until after that weekend to start.we will see how it works for me, you make it sound pretty good.quite a few guys at work are on it and doing pretty good.the guys that are cheating a little bit are struggling.

mirvin
    Hey boatnam, been on it 15 months now. Best thing I ever did. Ran into Goldy last weekend and he said, "What happened, you used to be fat"!!
    I was never fat but always 10 to 25 lbs heavy and always battling with food.
    PM me if you want some info or anything.
    Mirvin

yea mirvin he keeps calling me a fat ass i call him patches because of that bald spot on the back of his head.next time you see him call him patches.

mirvin
    That's funny!! I just stopped by real quick and he was on his way out to go golfing so I didn't notice but I'll be sure to mention it

mirvin
    Hey Hammer, you there? I sent you a pm.
    Mirvin

beyondhelpin
    Like Froggy said get the strips . You may be getting carbs from an unknown source. You can get the strips at most drug stores. I even seen them in Walmart last month.
    The diet is most effective with under 10 carbs a day. Eat some green beans or something similar. The book spells it out . I did like Froggy and went with 0 carbs and experienced no problems. The weight just melted off of me. It was amazing. (I was also working out religiously.) Take a good multi vitamin though.
    Over the long term stay away from anything that is processed flour or sugar. If it comes in a box or package dont eat it!
    The only reason given for the coffee exclusion is that caffeine can make you hungry. I will take the hunger over no coffee any day not that I was ever actually hungry from the caffeine.
    Men seem to do better on the diet. Maybe because we are hunters (meat eaters) as cavemen and the girls were gathers.
    The diet rocks when done properly. If not you are wasting your time.
    My wife will make a couple of dozen scrambled eggs and a package of sausage for me for the next week. Works great. Just under cook the eggs a little bit and the microwave will finish the job.
    And most important (with any diet) if you screw up on the diet and jam a bunch of carbs down the throat dont think you blew the diet and get off of it. Just pickup where you left off.
    Here is a web site with a lot of low carb recipes. http://www.camacdonald.com/lc/LowCar...ng-Recipes.htm

Ms. AquaBoogie1
    I have to agree, this WOE(way of eating) really does work. I started it 9/11/03 and I lost 12 lbs. the first 2 weeks. I stopped it around the end of Nov(due to the holidays) and I lost a total of 23lbs. and 3 inches all over. The best advice I can give anyone on Atkins is not to rely on your scale. You loose more inches than anything. One day you might have lost two lbs. and then the next it might have gone back up two lbs. Take your measurments before you start. And then measure yourself weekly. You will see more results that way. You might not have lost any weight, but you will sure loose inches. I went off of it during the holidays and I gained back 8 lbs. and have been feeling like crap!!!! I am starting it again after Valentines(me & AquaBoogie1 are going to Vegas!!) And this time I am going to stick to it!!! It really does work. By the way the first week that I was on it, I actually went through withdrawls from the carbs and sugar(sweating, and feeling faint) I thought I couldn't hang with it, but you definately can't "cheat" on it. You have to do all or nothing!!!! Good luck!!
    Oh also, READ THE BOOK, don't just go off of "hear say"

HammerDown
    Does high Cholesterol levels become a issue with this style of eating...
    I've been on Lipitor for almost a year now, my levels went from 248 to I belive 170.

NorCal Gameshow
    Originally posted by HammerDown
    I've been on Lipitor for almost a year now, my levels went from 248 to I belive 170.
    I pulled this from abc news:
    Eat Fat and Cholesterol Gets Better?
    Two short-term studies published in the New England Journal of Medicine this year found that cholesterol levels were reduced in obese patients on high-protein, low-carbohydrate diets.
    "The surprise in the studies last year of Atkins was not that there was weight lost; it was that the lipid [cholesterol] profiles of the patients got better, not worse as people had predicted," said Dr. Paul Shekelle, a professor at University of California, Los Angeles, School of Medicine and director of the Southern California Evidence-Based Practice Center.
    "I have seen the same thing in clinical practice. The presumption is that the loss in weight, which will improve the lipid profile, is more than counterbalancing any adverse effect [of] the high-protein diet," said Shekelle.
    notice the test were with "obese patients"

bigq
    Originally posted by HammerDown
    You need to seperate them from what little I know. What is the HDL and LDL not the combined. Also what is the triglyceride levels. then look at the tryclyceride to HDL percentage to get a real reading of where you are at. The little I know is you need cholesterol, too little is not good either ,so to answer your question, the diet seems to allow the body to regulate it naturally the way it is suppose to. I started the protein diet for high BP, docs wanted me on drugs, I am not on drugs and my BP is normal now. I have heard of some peole going up to unsafe levels and then coming down, but it took more than a year to correct it.

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast