Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Reality check list for teenagers

FMluvswater
    Got this in an e-mail. I thought it was a little harsh.
    Rule No. 1: Life is not fair. Get used to it. The average teen-ager uses the phrase "It's not fair" 8.6 times a day. You got it from your parents, who said it so often you decided they must be the most idealistic generation ever. When they started hearing it from their own kids, they realized Rule No. 1.
    Rule No. 2: The real world won't care as much about your self-esteem as your school does. It'll expect you to accomplish something before you feel good about yourself. This may come as a shock. Usually, when inflated self-esteem meets reality, kids complain that it's not fair. (See Rule No. 1)
    Rule No. 3: Sorry, you won't make $40,000 a year right out of high school. And you won't be a vice president or have a car phone either. You may even have to wear a uniform that doesn't have a Gap label.
    Rule No. 4: If you think your teacher is tough, wait 'til you get a boss. He doesn't have tenure, so he tends to be a bit edgier. When you screw up, he's not going to ask you how you feel about it.
    Rule No. 5: Flipping burgers is not beneath your dignity. Your grandparents had a different word for burger flipping. They called it opportunity. They weren't embarrassed making minimum wage either. They would have been embarrassed to sit around talking about Kurt Cobain all weekend.
    Rule No. 6: It's not your parents' fault. If you screw up, you are
    responsible. This is the flip side of "It's my life," and "You're not the boss of me," and other eloquent proclamations of your generation. When you turn 18, it's on your dime. Don't whine about it, or you'll sound like a baby boomer.
    Rule No. 7: Before you were born your parents weren't as boring as they are now. They got that way paying your bills, cleaning up your room and listening to you tell them how idealistic you are. And by the way, before you save the rain forest from the blood-sucking parasites of your parents' generation, try delousing the closet in your bedroom.
    Rule No. 8: Your school may have done away with winners and losers. Life hasn't. In some schools, they'll give you as many times as you want to get the right answer. Failing grades have been abolished and class valedictorians scrapped, lest anyone's feelings be hurt. Effort is as important as results. This, of course, bears not the slightest resemblance to anything in real life.
    (See Rule No. 1, Rule No. 2 and Rule No. 4.)
    Rule No. 9: Life is not divided into semesters, and you don't get summers off. Not even Easter break. They expect you to show up every day. For eight hours. And you don't get a new life every 10 weeks. It just goes on and on. While we're at it, very few jobs are interested in fostering your self-expression or helping you find yourself. Fewer still lead to self-realization. (See Rule No. 1 and Rule No. 2.)
    Rule No. 10: Television is not real life. Your life is not a sitcom. Your problems will not all be solved in 30 minutes, minus time for commercials. In real life, people actually have to leave the coffee shop to go to jobs. Your friends will not be as perky or pliable as Jennifer Aniston.
    Rule No. 11: Be nice to nerds. You may end up working for them. We all could.

Her454
    Harsh, maybe. But true.

Actually, I find this right on the money. I guess people that want to be their children's friends (instead of a parent) won't agree. The best thing I can do for my children is to prepare them to succeed in the REAL world, not the one the schools created.
    Thanks for posting it.

spectratoad
    Nice one FM. I had to send that to my ex since it seems her step daughter is giving her and her husband a run for their money.

Keithb87
    Right On

Dave C
    so true....

HighRoller
    I'm actually scared thinking about having kids. The behavior of the spoiled, disrespectful little brats I see every day is sickening! The only thing worse is the spineless parents who let them become that way. I can't even fathom telling my parents that my room is my "private space" and that since I'm 15 I can "make my own decisions". They would have told me that I could have private space and make my own decisions as soon as I turned 18. End of discussion.

Tremor Therapy
    I have 2 teenage daughters (15 and 17) and you have no idea how much of that is soooooo f%#*ing true! Try having a discussion with your daughter, have her curse at you, and then when you inform her if she ever addresses you like that again you will slap her face.......only to hear your daughter threaten you by telling you "if you ever touch her, she will call CPS and let them know how long you have been abusing her!"
    WTF? I don't know when the world took a left turn, but both of these girls were model students all the way through middle school. I don't know what happened, but I do know that if I would have cursed at my dad, I would have been going to school the next day with a hole in my smile!

HighRoller
    Damn, I can't even imagine that. You should have said" you're right. I am a bad parent." Then dial the CPS number and hand her the phone. Tell her to pack up all of HER belongings and spend a few nights at the CPS shelter. No more phone, TV, nice boat vacations or good food. Most likely she'll change her tune. A friend of mine's son told her that the household rules were B.S. one day and she told him with a straight face that they were going to the courthouse first thing in the morning to get him emanicipated since he wanted to make his own rules. He straightened up in a hurry!

JustMVG
    Thanks FM for getting this put up, i am going to make a poster of it and put it in each one of my 3 girls rooms.
    Tremor i am going thru the same thing with my middle Step daughter, she's totally out of control when it comes to "it's not fair" , i have never spanked or hit or touched my girls in anger or to discipline them, if i even thought to do it or made a remark to the fact that if she were mine i would have spanked the tar outta her, she pulls the "your not my dad" BS and threatens to call CPS or her "real" dad, i just step back and let her scream, it is tough some times, oh well i'll stop my rant here, but you get the idea, it isn't easy being the Step Parent, and i do the best i can, the folks i have met from the boards and have met my girls know that they are good kids and love the heck out of me as i do them, but we all have our moments.
    Take care everyone Mike VG

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast