Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Reality check list for teenagers

spectratoad
    Tremor,
    I think that I would start recording what you say and the respnses or better yet hidden video and get them acting that way a few times, ask them when they reply if you have ever hit them in the past etc... and get it all recorded. When it does come to the day that you do let loose and slap them, and yes I am sure you will get there just show that recording to them and see if they still want to call CPS.
    My boys are on 10 & 12 and I hope we never get to the disrespectful teenager part. I am sure it will happen sometime though.

SERIOUS ISSUES
    the sad thing is I was investigated for spanking my son after he had kept getting in trouble at school (he was 6). It was the first time I had done it.
    he started doing better in school and then I started getting calls and someone wanted to interview me and my son. I told them to come on over. 2 months later my son made a comment about burning somethin while he was at school. I was called into the office to talk about it. I told them I dont want to here it, they dont like the way I disiplin my child they can do it.
    I dont care what anyone say's, time out doesn't work. I have a pretty good kid now and it's because he know's when he gets home it could be more than NO PLAYSTATION!
    after the above I decided to not have anymore kids. just not worth other people telling you how to raise them but you being responsible for there actions,

Warlock28
    Don't get me started!!!
    17 yearold female out of control!!

Tremor Therapy
    Originally posted by spectratoad
    Tremor,
    I think that I would start recording what you say and the respnses or better yet hidden video and get them acting that way a few times, ask them when they reply if you have ever hit them in the past etc... and get it all recorded. When it does come to the day that you do let loose and slap them, and yes I am sure you will get there just show that recording to them and see if they still want to call CPS.
    My boys are on 10 & 12 and I hope we never get to the disrespectful teenager part. I am sure it will happen sometime though.
    Okay, I need to rant a little as well............Oh the trials and tribulations! We have already been down the road of CPS! 2 years ago, I get a call at work, "hi this is Mrs. So-and-so, and we need to schedule at appointment this evening." I inquire as to the "need" for this appointment, and I am told that someone has "reported" me to CPS as a "raging child abuser."
    So, the gal comes out for the "interview (interrogation)"...... and it is only then that I find out that they have taken all of my kids out of school, interviewed each of them....in secret, without my permission, and then they were all told that they could not discuss this with me or my wife at all. WTF!
    So the gal continues her interrogation, and I allow her to go through the house with a fine tooth comb. Unfortunately I am friggin pissed so I let it fly...right in her face! Well she takes 3 pages of notes, takes pictures, etc., and then leaves.
    Well we don't hear from them for 2 days, and I am sweating bullets, and for absolutely no reason! Well on the third day the lady calls back....."I'm sorry you had to go through this sir, but we are not only going to close the case, but we are going to drop it all together." So I inquire as to why, because CPS never closes anything, and she tells me...quote! "It seems like daughter X didn't like being put on a months restriction for having a friend call in sick for her when she cut school a week back."
    No shit! She didn't like getting put on a months restriction for cutting class, and lying about it....so she gets a friend to call CPS, and "anonymously" report me as a child abuser!!!!!! I don't wish this on any of you, but I did find out one very important tid-bit of information. If you do have a child at home that is out of control, call CPS yourself, and ask them what you can do. The one thing I will say about that gal in hindsight is that she did leave her card, and told me that if we had any further issues with daughter X, give her a call......parents do have rights!!!!!!!!!

HighRoller
    Damn, that's harsh. But I've always found(as a child and uncle) that creativity will repay these kids nicely and teach them a lesson. It would have been hilarious if you stayed at a friend's house or a hotel one of those nights then have your wife tell daughter X you got locked up for child abuse based on what she said. Now the house, the boat and the cars will have to be sold and they'll be living in a shack! Would that be a good payback for her little stunt?

Coach
    As a teacher of teenagers I love the above comments. Don't think all of us are a bunch a left wing democrats who don't have common sense. Many teachers, more so in OC, are right wingers who would love to see corporal punishment come back.
    I love giving teenagers a hard time about the "not fair issue" I always ask to see their card they were issued at birth. F***** self esteem!!! I let them know day one I don't care about self esteem, it is something earned by doing good things not just lip service for doing nothing.
    As for talking back some of the little bastards try to and I am 6'1 225 lbs and a coach. They get my coaches voice (very very loud) and me in their face and I always remind them that they are rude. My favorite is to tell them I hope their parents don't allow them to talk like that at home and if they do I let them know their parents should be slapped.
    The level of disrespectful students has gotten worse in the last few years. We have let the psychologists and democrats tell us what is best for our students and it is a huge failure.
    Don't get me wrong every kid does need encouragement and told they are doing a good job when it is deserved, but not other wise. They also need to be told what is right and wrong. They will always justify why their actions no matter how wrong. I just tell them that if you do (cheat, drugs, lie, etc) you are a scum bag loser. If you do the right thing morally and have some character you are a great person. It is not that hard!
    I guess my favorite example right now of what a wonderful job education is doing is the American Idol show. I love the first days of the show, notice how many individuals between the ages of 16-22 where the biggest complainers and could not accept criticism that they are not any good. They have been pumped so full of the self-esteem BS that the actually think they are good. It is by far the best example of outright failure for the self esteem camp.
    Don't get on me about the American Idol thing, I know you all were watching especially the "She Bangs, She Bangs" Asian guy who what funnier that sh**.

framer1
    I read that before, I always thought Bill Gates wrote it. At least that what I heard.

AzDon
    My 20 year old daughter has always been level-headed and respectful of adults, but was never timid about resolving misunderstandings with teachers, directly and thoughtfully. We never had a bit of "rebellious teen" problems with her. She graduated third in her class, and will graduate from UofA one semester early, next winter.
    My son Nick is also a respectful, scholarly young man who just turned 16. He is tied for first in his class and recently was sought and offerred a job in the software development department of a cutting-edge credit reporting company that intends to have him work on projects that they couldn't find adults that were qualified to do.
    I have done nothing extraordinary to deserve kids like this... just demonstrated by example what a hard day's work and financial expectations looks like to blue collar people, and that the only shortcut to a reasonable adult income is a good education!
    I HAVE demonstrated my backing for them by fighting teachers and administrators on EVERY OCCASION that they have been unable to resolve for themselves, an episode where they have been treated unfairly, even at personal risk of appearing petty to other adults! I haven't always won, but my kids know that I will back them, with lawyers, if necessary! They also are smart enough to save the proclamation that something "isn't fair" for issues that truly aren't! Any time I've had the "not fair" card pulled on me without proper grounds, I've gone to great lengths to familiarize them with the other side of the argument, and why, fairness works against them this time. They know that their dad is "all about the fairness" and will go down in flames fighting for them if they are right!

HighRoller
    The saddest thing I see about shows like American Idol is the mentality of these people. They show up unprepared, with a horrible voice,and then are crushed or outraged that the judges didn't just sign the check over to them on the spot. The reality shows are a horrible example for our kids because they teach them about getting rich easily, which is a fantasy. They are NOT going to get rich winning a reality show or the lottery, and on the off chance that they did receive a windfall of that size they would blow it quickly because they are neither mature nor prepared enough to manage that kind of money responsibly.

toofastworlock28
    i am not that spoiled because i have to work for what my dad (worlock28) has i do lawns an wash cars.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast